Reading Faces & Micro Expressions
- 31 mins on-demand video
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- You'll take a huge step towards improving your emotional intelligence, empowering yourself, and improve all your relationships & career results.
- No prerequisites for this course
Research shows that only 15% of our professional success is due to our technical abilities. The other 85% is due to our skills in human relations, personality, and our ability to communicate, negotiate, and lead. In other words “people skills,” or skills related to emotional intelligence, are crucial.
In this course we'll show you what you've been missing. Micro expressions are absolutely essential in understanding the emotional world we live in. Reading emotional signals is huge part of emotional intelligence, which allows you to better communicate with others, improve negotiations, improve relationships, increase sales performance, build rapport - as well as increase the chances of identifying deceptive behaviour. For accurate deception detection one needs to study the face as well as a person's whole demeanour: gesture, voice, posture, gaze, and lastly - the words themselves.
This course covers the first of the five channels of communication that are essential for emotional intelligence - the face. This course is the doorway to a new level of understanding yourself as well as the people around you.
- This course is you if you're interested in empowering yourself, see what you've been missing, and improve all your relationships. You'll also massively improve your ability to read your audience, which will increase your effectiveness as a salesperson, manager, CEO, parent, teacher, public speaker, public servant, banker - plus so much more. If you deal with people - ever - then this course is for you.
Want to better understand how people around you feel? Micro expressions are absolutely essential in understanding the emotional world we live in. Research shows that emotional intelligence impacts on how successful people are in their careers, and being able to read emotional signals is a very important part of this emotional intelligence. It allows you to better communicate with others, improve negotiations, improve relationships, increase sales performance, build rapport - as well as increase the chances of identifying deceptive behaviour - or lying. For accurate deception detection one needs to study the face as well as a person's whole demeanour: gesture, voice, posture, gaze, and lastly - the words themselves.
Micro expressions are signs of concealed emotions that leak out when people are in high stake situations but are trying to control their feelings, and normally last less than 1/2 a second.
Scientists have documented seven universal facial expressions of emotion that are expressed by everyone, regardless of race, culture, age or gender. Research also shows that people can be trained to identify these expressions fairly quickly.
This course will introduce you to the 7 universal expressions of emotion, where you'll start to see what you've been missing.
There is no single sign of deception. There is no one gesture, facial expression or muscle twitch that means someone is being deceitful; there are only clues that the person is poorly prepared, and shows clues of emotions that do not fit the person’s line or intent. The liar’s words normally gain the most attention from the target, however these are the easiest to falsify. After the words, the next cue to gain the attention of the target (interviewer, or person being lied to) is the subject’s (or liar’s) displayed emotions.
This section is a short example of detecting deception through speech; it refers to a cluster (sometimes called a hotspot; these are usually 2-3 different behavioural clues or cues that give more evidence toward a meaning than what just one clue would). This is also referred to as the cluster "telling a story".
In future programs we'll cover off detecting deception in great detail - this is just a sample.
Stu Dunn - Founder of SDL Behavioural Science Consultancy