Beginner's Guide to Gardening: Building Raised Beds
What you'll learn
- How to build a raised bed with minimal materials, equipment, and cost.
- Understand all the basic aspects of maintaining a raised bed vegetable garden: planting, watering, etc.
- Knowledge of basic light carpentry concepts and how to apply them.
- Adapt foundational horticultural concepts to suit your specific circumstances in creating and maintaining a vegetable garden
- Insights to encourage and instil confidence to create a beautiful, productive growing space that will last for years.
- Awareness of basic vegetable gardening concepts like planting and watering.
- Simple understanding of using hand tools and power tools.
- Familiarity with basic light carpentry concepts like levelling and sawing.
This course covers all aspects of building a beautiful raised bed garden. Designed for beginners curious about gardening, this course also has insights that a seasoned gardener would appreciate. There is a thorough walk through of constructing a demonstration raised bed, and how best to adapt it to suit your preferences.
The raised bed is designed to be built with minimal materials, low cost (less than $10 USD), and basic equipment. No special vehicles or power tools are required to procure and work with the materials. The course also goes through maintaining a raised bed garden with modules on planting, watering, and so forth. Total video runtime is 30 minutes.
One of the key learning outcomes for this course is to have you take away a core set of foundational horticultural and light carpentry concepts that can be adapted and scaled to your particular context. Because of the many benefits a raised bed garden can bring about, our hope is that you're inspired and encouraged to start a raised bed garden of your own. Music provided by bensound.
Who this course is for:
- Anybody who is interested in vegetable gardening.
- Students who are concerned about food security and healthy eating.
- People who are curious on how to reduce their carbon footprint in a practical manner.
I'm the founder and director of Green + Humble, a successful management consulting firm. I've since downsized from the corporate world and am living a simpler life giving back to the community and sharing my passions and accumulated management, financial, and life lessons. Please join me in my journey to live a simpler life.