QuickBooks Payroll - QuickBooks Pro Desktop
What you'll learn
- List and describe payroll related legislation
- Enter new employee information into QuickBooks and describe where to get the data necessary to add a new employee
- Set up and calculate Federal Income Tax (FIT) In QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- Describe the Federal Income Contribution Act and its components
- Set up and calculate social security in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Set up and calculate Medicare in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Set up and calculate Federal Unemployment in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Describe and calculate employer payroll taxes in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Generate payroll journal entries from payroll reports in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Generate and analyze Form 941 Employer's Quarterly Federal Tax Return in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Generate and analyze Form 940 Employer's Annual Federal Unemployment (FUTA) Tax Return in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Generate and analyze Forms W-2 & W-3 in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Reconciling year end payroll tax forms
- Generate and analyze a payroll register and payroll reports from QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- Describe mandatory and voluntary deductions and how they are entered into QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- List and describe types of retirement plans and how to set them up in QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- Enter comprehensive payroll problem into QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- Setup paid payroll in QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- Setup Manual payroll in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Process payroll in QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019
- Pay payroll liabilities using QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019
- We should be familiar with QuickBooks and or accounting.
QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019 payroll will describe the payroll process for a small business in detail, so bookkeepers, accountants, and business owners can better understand how to set up payroll, process payroll, and troubleshoot problems related to payroll.
This course will introduce the payroll set-up in the QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019 system, walking through payroll screens for both the paid version and the free manual version of payroll within QuickBooks Desktop.
We will discuss payroll legislation that will affect payroll calculations within QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019 and list the payroll forms we will need to generate from Quickbooks.
The course will walk through the process of entering a new employee into the QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019 system and describe where the data would be received from in practice including Form W-4.
We will discuss Federal Income Tax (FIT) calculations within QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019. The course will describe how FIT is calculated, what is needed for QuickBooks Pro to calculate FIT, and how to enter the data into the accounting system.
The course will describe the Federal Income Contributions Act (FICA) and its components.
We will calculate social security and describe how QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019 will help with the calculations as we process payroll.
The course will calculate Medicare and describe how QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019 will help with the calculations of Medicare when we process payroll.
We will calculate Federal Unemployment (FUTA) and discuss how FUTA is related to state unemployment (SUTA).
The course will describe and calculate employer taxes and discuss which taxes are employee taxes and which taxes are employer taxes.
We will describe payroll journal entries and discuss how payroll data is populated in the QuickBooks reports and financial statements including the profit and loss and balance sheet.
The course will describe and fill out a payroll register and analyze the many payroll reports that can be generated from QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019.
We will discuss and enter both mandatory and voluntary deductions into the QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019 system.
The course will discuss retirement plan options, how to enter them into the QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019 system, and how they are used to calculate net income and payroll taxes.
We will cover two comprehensive problems, processing payroll within QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019. One comprehensive problem will use the paid QuickBooks version. The second comprehensive problem will use the free manual version and compare the computations to ones we will do in Excel.
Our first comprehensive problem will start off very basic with one employee and will increase in complexity as we enter more benefits and payroll details each year.
Our second comprehensive problem will focus on manual calculations to get a better understanding of what the paid version is really doing for us. A better understanding of the calculations being made by the QuickBooks Desktop Pro 2019 system allows us to spot and troubleshoot problems when they happen.
In addition to the instructional videos, this course will include downloadable
• QuickBooks Pro Desktop 2019 Backup files
• Excel practice files
• Downloadable PDF Files
The QuickBooks Desktop 2019 backup files are a great tool that allows us to jump ahead in the material or to rework material if we choose.
Excel practice files will be preformatted and will generally have at least two tabs, one tab with the completed work and a second tab with a preformatted worksheet we can fill in as we watch the instructional videos.
Who this course is for:
- Bookkeeper who want to learn how to use QuickBooks payroll
- Business owners who want to learn QuickBooks payroll
- Accounting students who want a better understanding of payroll concepts and how they are used in accounting software
- Business professionals who want a better understanding of how payroll works
Through working with students from many different schools, Mr. Steele has learned best practices for helping people understand accounting fast. Learning new skills and finding the best way to share knowledge with people who can benefit from it is a passion of his.
Mr. Steele has experience working as a practicing Certified Public Accountant (CPA), an accounting and business instructor, and curriculum developer. He has enjoyed putting together quality tools to improve learning and has been teaching, making instructional resources, and building curriculum since 2009. He has been a practicing CPA since 2005. Mr. Steele is a practicing CPA, has a Certified Post-Secondary Instructor (CPI) credential, a Master of Science in taxation from Golden Gate University, a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Economics with an emphasis in accounting from The University of California Santa Barbara, and a Global Management Accounting Designation (CGMA) from The American Institute of CPA (AICPA).
Mr. Steele has also authored five books that can be found on Amazon or in audiobook format on Audible. He has developed bestselling courses in accounting topics including financial accounting and QuickBooks accounting software.
In addition to working as an accountant, teaching, and developing courses Mr. Steele has helped create an accounting website at accountinginstruction, a YouTube channel called Accounting Instruction, Help, and How Too, and has developed supplemental resources including a Facebook Page, Twitter Page, and Podcasts that can be found on I-tunes, Stitcher, or Soundcloud. Mr. Steele's teaching philosophy is to make content applicable, understandable, and accessible.
Adult learners are looking for application when they learn new skills. In other words, learners want to be able to apply skills in the real world to help their lives. Mr. Steele’s formal accounting education, practical work experience, and substantial teaching experience allow him to create a curriculum that combines traditional accounting education with practical knowledge and application. He accomplishes the goals of making accounting useful and applicable by combining theory with real-world software like Excel and QuickBooks.
Many courses teach QuickBooks data entry or Excel functions but are not providing the real value learners want. Real value is a result of learning technical skills like applications, in conjunction with specific goals, like accounting goals, including being able to interpret the performance of a business.
Mr. Steele makes knowledge understandable by breaking down complex concepts into smaller units with specific objectives and using step by step learning processes to understand each unit. Many accounting textbooks cram way too much information into a course, making it impossible to understand any unit fully. By breaking the content down into digestible chunks, we can move forward much faster.
Mr. Steele also makes use of color association in both presentations and Excel worksheets, a learning tool often overlooked in the accounting field, but one that can vastly improve the speed and comprehension of learning accounting concepts.
The material is also made understandable through the application of concepts learned. Courses will typically demonstrate the accounting concepts and then provide an Excel worksheet or practice problems to work through the concepts covered. The practice problems will be accompanied by an instructional video to work through the problem in step by step format. Excel worksheets will be preformatted, usually including an answer tab that shows the completed problem, and a practice tab where learners can complete the problem along with a step by step presentation video.
Mr. Steele makes learning accounting accessible by making use of technology and partnering with teaching platforms that have a vision of spreading knowledge like Udemy.