Mastering QuickBooks Online 2024: A Comprehensive Guide
What you'll learn
- Master the navigation of QuickBooks Online, familiarizing yourself with its various features and functionalities.
- Identify and comprehend the relationship between data input and the resultant financial statements and related reports.
- Analyze transactions using a transactional analysis approach, categorizing them into vendor, customer, and employee accounting cycles.
- Examine in detail each cycle's data input forms and their respective impacts on financial statements and related reports.
- Set up a new company file in QuickBooks Online, grasping foundational components like the chart of accounts, service items, and starting balances.
- Execute common transactions over a span of two months, backed by instructional videos, and analyze each transaction's impact on financial reports.
- Learn to conduct bank reconciliations, ensuring financial integrity by demonstrating reconciliation procedures using sample bank statements.
- Master the integration of bank feeds, learning how to connect to the bank, download and incorporate bank data into the accounting system.
- Learn to efficiently apply bank rules for efficient incorporation of banking transactions into QuickBooks Online.
- Create and apply adjusting entries at the month or year-end, aligning financial statement reports to their accounting basis.
- Develop an understanding of various accounting bases such as accrual, cash, or tax basis and their application in QuickBooks Online.
- Learn best practices for budget construction, QuickBooks budget entry, and budget report generation.
- Delve into specialized topics such as the use of account numbers, form customization, and class tracking.
- Explore the efficient use of transaction memorization for repeat entries in QuickBooks Online.
- Master the handling of multiple currencies in QuickBooks Online, understanding how to manage and reconcile foreign transactions
- Develop strategies for handling complex accounting scenarios, using QuickBooks Online to devise efficient solutions.
- Reflect on the pros and cons of QuickBooks Online, being able to justify the choice of accounting software for specific tasks based on their functionalities.
- Develop a comprehensive skill set to expertly navigate and utilize QuickBooks Online for diverse accounting tasks and scenarios.
- Integrate acquired knowledge to optimize the use of QuickBooks Online in real-world accounting scenarios.
- Showcase proficiency in QuickBooks Online by resolving complex accounting problems using the software.
- Computer and Internet: As an online course, you will need a reliable computer with a stable internet connection to access the course materials and software.
- Time Commitment: This comprehensive course involves hands-on exercises, so make sure you have enough time to fully engage with the course content.
- Positive Attitude: As always, bringing a positive attitude and a willingness to learn will greatly enhance your learning experience.
This exhaustive course is your ticket to expertise in QuickBooks Online, offering an immersive learning experience that caters to beginners and seasoned users alike.
The promise of mastering QuickBooks in just an hour might sound appealing, but we firmly believe in a robust and thorough exploration of this powerful software. This course is designed to guide learners from the very basics to an in-depth understanding of the platform, while offering the flexibility to reference specific topics as needed. It serves as a reliable, up-to-date reference guide that we commit to updating annually to reflect the latest developments in the software.
Starting from the ground up, we demonstrate how to access and install the QuickBooks software, potentially at no cost. Using a sample file provided by QuickBooks, learners will navigate the software, identify commonly-used areas, and comprehend the relationship between data input and the resultant financial statements and related reports.
The course utilizes a transactional analysis approach, categorizing transactions into accounting cycles: vendor cycle (alternatively known as payment, purchases, accounts payable, or expenses cycle), customer cycle (also referred to as revenue, sales, or accounts receivable cycle), and employee cycle. Each cycle's data input forms and their impact on financial statements and related reports are examined in detail.
The subsequent section involves setting up a new company file, a crucial learning step to grasp foundational accounting system components like the chart of accounts, service items, revenue items, and starting balances. Learners will practice entering a variety of common transactions over two months, backed by instructional videos, and analyze each transaction's impact on the financial statements and related reports.
Bank reconciliations, an essential part of financial integrity, are also covered, demonstrating reconciliation procedures using sample bank statements. Further, an extensive section devoted to bank feeds ensures learners understand how to connect to the bank, download and incorporate bank data into the accounting system, and apply bank rules for efficiency.
Following this, we delve into adjusting entries, used to align financial statement reports to their accounting basis at the month or year-end. Key accounting bases such as accrual, cash, or tax basis will be explored.
The course additionally covers budget construction best practices, QuickBooks budget entry, and budget report generation. Specialized topics such as account number usage, form customization, class tracking, transaction memorization, and multiple currency handling are also included, providing a well-rounded understanding of QuickBooks Online.
By the conclusion of this course, learners will have developed a comprehensive understanding and skill set to expertly navigate and utilize QuickBooks Online for all their accounting needs.
Who this course is for:
- Aspiring Accountants and Finance Students: Whether you're currently studying or planning to pursue a career in accounting or finance, this course will help you understand and navigate one of the industry's leading software tools.
- Accounting Professionals: For those already in the field, this course serves as a valuable refresher or a chance to update your QuickBooks Online skills. It provides the latest information and can enhance your effectiveness at work.
- Small Business Owners & Entrepreneurs: If you're managing your own business and want to handle your own accounts or better understand your financials, this course offers a comprehensive guide to using QuickBooks Online.
- Freelancers and Self-Employed Individuals: Those who handle their own finances and need an efficient way to track their income and expenses will benefit from this in-depth exploration of QuickBooks Online.
- Bookkeepers: If you are in charge of financial records for a business, this course will help you leverage QuickBooks Online to organize and manage those records effectively.
- Consultants and Financial Advisors: Professionals who provide advice to businesses about their financial management processes will find this course beneficial for understanding one of the most used accounting platforms.
- Anyone Interested in QuickBooks Online: Whether you're considering a career change, or just interested in understanding accounting software, this course provides a thorough understanding of QuickBooks Online.
Through working with students from many different schools, Mr. Steele has learned best practices for helping people understand accounting fast. Learning new skills and finding the best way to share knowledge with people who can benefit from it is a passion of his.
Mr. Steele has experience working as a practicing Certified Public Accountant (CPA), an accounting and business instructor, and curriculum developer. He has enjoyed putting together quality tools to improve learning and has been teaching, making instructional resources, and building curriculum since 2009. He has been a practicing CPA since 2005. Mr. Steele is a practicing CPA, has a Certified Post-Secondary Instructor (CPI) credential, a Master of Science in taxation from Golden Gate University, a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Economics with an emphasis in accounting from The University of California Santa Barbara, and a Global Management Accounting Designation (CGMA) from The American Institute of CPA (AICPA).
Mr. Steele has also authored five books that can be found on Amazon or in audiobook format on Audible. He has developed bestselling courses in accounting topics including financial accounting and QuickBooks accounting software.
In addition to working as an accountant, teaching, and developing courses Mr. Steele has helped create an accounting website at accountinginstruction, a YouTube channel called Accounting Instruction, Help, and How Too, and has developed supplemental resources including a Facebook Page, Twitter Page, and Podcasts that can be found on I-tunes, Stitcher, or Soundcloud. Mr. Steele's teaching philosophy is to make content applicable, understandable, and accessible.
Adult learners are looking for application when they learn new skills. In other words, learners want to be able to apply skills in the real world to help their lives. Mr. Steele’s formal accounting education, practical work experience, and substantial teaching experience allow him to create a curriculum that combines traditional accounting education with practical knowledge and application. He accomplishes the goals of making accounting useful and applicable by combining theory with real-world software like Excel and QuickBooks.
Many courses teach QuickBooks data entry or Excel functions but are not providing the real value learners want. Real value is a result of learning technical skills like applications, in conjunction with specific goals, like accounting goals, including being able to interpret the performance of a business.
Mr. Steele makes knowledge understandable by breaking down complex concepts into smaller units with specific objectives and using step by step learning processes to understand each unit. Many accounting textbooks cram way too much information into a course, making it impossible to understand any unit fully. By breaking the content down into digestible chunks, we can move forward much faster.
Mr. Steele also makes use of color association in both presentations and Excel worksheets, a learning tool often overlooked in the accounting field, but one that can vastly improve the speed and comprehension of learning accounting concepts.
The material is also made understandable through the application of concepts learned. Courses will typically demonstrate the accounting concepts and then provide an Excel worksheet or practice problems to work through the concepts covered. The practice problems will be accompanied by an instructional video to work through the problem in step by step format. Excel worksheets will be preformatted, usually including an answer tab that shows the completed problem, and a practice tab where learners can complete the problem along with a step by step presentation video.
Mr. Steele makes learning accounting accessible by making use of technology and partnering with teaching platforms that have a vision of spreading knowledge like Udemy.