Python for Beginners
What you'll learn
- How to use the Python Shell
- How to use interactive mode in Python
- How to develop and run programs in the IDLE editor
- How to run Python scripts directly from the command line
- How to use the print() function
- How to use separators and new line characters to modify command line output
- Assign variables of different types
- Understand integer, floating point, complex and string variables
- Be able to extract substrings
- Easily concatenate strings
- Create Lists and Tuples
- Create key value pairs and store them in dictionaries
- Understand mathematical operators used in Python
- Apply the order of operations to mathematical operations
- Utilize comparison operators to determine logical outcomes
- Use logical operators to join comparisons
- Write conditional statements to correctly branch code
- Use If, else and else if statements to apply branching
- Understand how and when to used nested if statements
- Use the shortcut Ternary operator
- Be able to use looping structures effectively
- Create While loops
- Be able to use For loops to loop through an objects properties
- Be able to construct nested loops and understand their utility.
- Cast variables from one type to another using built-in Python functions
- Use the Mathematical functions within Python to evaluate expressions
- Randomize numbers and selections with the Randomization tools
- Use Python String functions such as find(), join() and split()
- Create immutable tuples
- Access values within tuples
- Use tuple functions to manipulate tuple data
- Declare a dictionary and populate it with key/value pairs
- Access and edit values within dictionaries
- Extract date and time information from the time tuple
- Use the calendar object to work with calendar related information
- Create custom functions
- Send arguments to functions using order or keyword
- Create default function arguments
- Read and obtain keyboard input
- Read from a text file and process the data in Python
- Write to a text file from Python
- Append to a text file
- Handle exceptions with try/except/else in Python
- Use Python within the cgi-bin or a web server
- Process form data from Python
- Students should be comfortable working in the PC or Mac operating system
See why over 350,000 Udemy members learn coding from Mark Lassoff!
Few programming languages provide you with the flexibility and pure power of Python.
If you're becoming a professional developer, or are early in your development career, adding the Python skill set isn't just a resume embellishment-- It's an empowering language that will allow you to write procedural code in many types of environments and for many uses.
Python is commonly used for server-side programming for complex web applications or as a middle tier language providing web services or a communication layer with larger ecommerce systems. That being said, it's also a great language for beginners. The clear syntax makes it very easy to learn, and the powerful libraries make all types of programming possible. There are libraries for everything from games and graphics to complex mathematics to network and embedded programming.
Watch, Learn and Do
Programming is not a spectator sport and if you want to learn Python well, this course contains everything you need.
Skill-oriented instructor-led lectures will demonstrate each important Python skill. You'll be able to study and modify the code on your own to cement each topic. Python code coding lab exercises will familiarize you not just with Python syntax, but how real problem-solving in Python is done. You'll complete a more comprehensive project to help you integrate the different skills that are part of core Python.
Who this course is for:
- First time Python programmers
- Students and Teachers
- IT pros who want to learn to code
- Aspiring data scientists who want to add Python to their tool arsenal
Framework Tech Media does only one thing-- but we do it better than just about anybody else: We produce world-class online learning experiences.
If you are an individual or corporate learning department, please check out our course library. If you need a course produced for your enterprise tech company, please reach out!
Mark Lassoff 's parents frequently claim that Mark was born to be a programmer. Starting, in the mid-eighties at age 11, Mark was hard at work on his Commodore 64 writing games in the BASIC language. After completing a computer science degree, Mark developed software for several well-known internet startups during the initial internet boom of the mid 1990’s. Five years ago Mark parlayed a two decades of software development experience into his latest entrepreneurial venture, LearnToProgram Media.
LearnToProgram Media publishes online courses that teach mobile, web, and game development. Over 500,000 people have learned programming from Mark through online classes he has either authored or published. In addition to publishing popular courses and books LearnToProgram Media operates an internet video network which produces several programs on software development.
Previously Mark founded PowerPlant Marketing, which created marketing automation software for REALTORS™. After the sale of PowerPlant, Mark went on to found Internet Broadcasting Group which counted among it’s launch clients Nike, Blue Moon Brewing Company and Opubco.
Mark lives in Connecticut and speaks worldwide on software development, entrepreneurship and online learning. He has spoken at TechWeek NY, TechWeek LA, and SXSW, among other large conferences. In his spare time he he enjoys aviation, mentoring new business owners and spending time with life-long friends and family.