Python API for Trading
- Windows, Linux, or Mac OSX computer with GUI and Python 3.3 or higher installed.
- Familiarity with Python programming
- The TWS API utilizes socket programming, multiple threads, and other concepts which it is recommended to be familiar with beforehand. If not, it is suggested to first try an Introduction to Python course which covers these topics.
This is a course in programming with the Trader Workstation Application Programming Interface (TWS API) for Python developers. In this course, we describe how to get started in developing Python applications that use the API.
Josh joined the IBKR API team in 2015 and has been an active contributor to API educational resources including the TWS API reference guide and webinars. Before joining the team, he was an automated trading enthusiast interested in trading APIs and machine learning technologies. Josh has a BS in Computer Science from Carnegie Mellon University.
What is the TWS API?
Installing & Configuring TWS for the API
Accessing the TWS Python API Source Code
Essential components of TWS API programs
Receiving Market Data and Historical Candlesticks
Option Chains, Portfolio Data and Account Information
API Case Study in Pair Trades
Who this course is for:
- Python programmers who want to learn about the Trader Workstation API.
- 04:50What is the TWS API?
- 5 questionsWhat is the TWS API?
- 04:46Installing & Configuring TWS for the API
- 5 questionsQuiz 2 Installing & Configuring TWS for the API
- 06:23Accessing the TWS Python API Source Code
- 5 questionsQuiz 3: Accessing the TWS Python API Source Code
- 13:53Essential components of TWS API programs
- 5 questionsQuiz 4: Essential components of TWS API Programs
- 21:55Receiving Market Data and Historical Candlesticks
- 5 questionsQuiz 5: Receiving Market Data and Historical Candlesticks
- 12:41Placing Orders
- 5 questionsQuiz 6: Placing Orders
- 15:40Option Chains, Portfolio Data and Account Information
- 5 questionsQuiz 7: Option Chains, Portfolio Data and Account Info
- 09:44API Case Study in Pair Trades
- 5 questionsQuiz 8: API Case Study in Pair Trades
Interactive Brokers' courses are intended for financial professionals, investors, educators and students seeking a better understanding of the asset classes, markets, currencies, tools and functionality available on IB's award-winning Trader Workstation (TWS), IBKR Mobile, Account Management and TWS API applications.
Even the most experienced traders or investors need to keep learning to stay ahead. Interactive Brokers provides several resources to help you better understand IBKR products and services, markets and technology.
Interactive Brokers provides execution and clearing services to clients. None of the information contained herein constitutes a recommendation, offer, or solicitation of an offer by Interactive Brokers to buy, sell or hold any security, financial product or instrument or to engage in any specific investment strategy.