The Complete Hiera Course: A Puppet Masterclass
What you'll learn
- Use Hiera to reduce Puppet code complexity
- Concepts of data separation
- An understanding of hierarchical lookups
- Advanced Hiera tips and tricks
- Securing sensitive data with Hiera-Eyaml
- How to manage infrastructure data in Puppet
- Lookup merging and cascading
- Working knowledge of using a Linux system
- Knowledge of Puppet (classes, parameters...etc)
Puppet is a powerful tool for managing infrastructure and has been helping people with config management for over a decade. One of Puppet's most valuable features that sets it apart from other tools is how it is able to manage configuration data using Hiera.
Hiera is much more than a key value store and the latest Hiera 5 release contains a whole host of features designed to make managing large amounts of data efficient and easy.
This is a course aimed at people who have already had exposure to Puppet and want to further expand their knowledge by mastering Hiera. This course will leave you with all the tools you need to manage even the most complex of infrastructures, write re-usable and sharable Puppet modules and reduce spaghetti code by learning about data separation and hierarchical lookups.
The topics in this course cover all the latest cutting edge and newly released features that we see in Hiera 5 and Puppet 6, don't get left behind!
This course includes topics such as;
Overview of the data management problem
Introduction to Hiera, the lookup sub-system of Puppet
Building dynamic lookup hierarchies
Using facts and variables in Hiera data
In-data Hiera functions
How to use puppet lookup from the command line
The lookup puppet function
How to use automatic data binding to resolve class parameters
Data merging and cascading
Data-in-modules to replace the legacy 'params.pp' pattern
Securing sensitive data with Hiera-Eyaml
Who this course is for:
- Puppet users wishing to further understand Hiera and data separation
- Systems engineers and admins who use Puppet to manage their deployments
- People with some Puppet experience looking to ramp up their knowledge
- Users familar with earlier versions of Hiera and Puppet that want to get up to speed with the latest features
A highly experienced automation engineer and trainer.
Craig is a seasoned IT veteran with over 20 years working in the IT industry. His DevOps journey started back in 2008 with Puppet and has helped numerous organisations implement Puppet, Ansible and Chef to automate their infrastructures, including IPC Media, BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation), Fidelity Investments and more.
He joined Puppet Labs in 2012 as a Professional Services Engineer providing consultancy and training courses world-wide.
Since leaving Puppet Labs, Craig founded his own consultancy company Enviatics and delivers training and consultancy services around Europe helping customers achieve automation success.
He is well known within the open source community as a contributor and maintainer of several projects, and has given many conference talks at events worldwide.