Progressive Web Apps (PWA) - The Complete Guide
- 15 hours on-demand video
- 22 articles
- 155 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to Udemy's top 3,000+ courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Build web apps that look and feel like native mobile apps for iOS and Android
Use service workers to build web apps that work without internet connection (offline-first)
Leverage device features like the camera and geolocation in your web apps
- Use web push notifications to increase user engagement with your web apps
Let's start with the most important question first: What are progressive web apps? This lecture takes a closer look!
Why would you build a progressive web app if you can just build a native mobile app? There are many reasons, let's dive into the important ones in this lecture.
Time to see a progressive web app in action! In this lecture, we'll have a look at a real PWA and at the final course project.
Now that we saw a finished progressive web app, let's build our own one. At least a very simple one!
You already learned quite a bit about progressive web apps but you also heard a lot of buzzwords. Let me summarize which core building blocks make up a progressive web app in this lecture.
Sometimes, PWAs and SPAs get mixed up. What is the difference? In this lecture, you'll learn how both concepts are related to each other - or how they are not.
What does the "progressive" in "progressive web app" actually mean? Let's explore this question and have a look at "progressive enhancement" in this lecture.
We had a look at a lot of the core concepts of PWAs, now it's time to also dive into the question what this course has to offer to you. Let's explore the course outline.
In this course, we're going to learn and apply everything directly on a course project. For that, we of course need one, so let's set it up!
Progressive Web Apps (PWA) are the next big thing in web development as they bring mobile-app-like experiences to your users without requiring them to install an app from the app store/ play store.
"Progressive Web App" simply is a term summarizing all the features allowing you to deliver mobile-like experiences. The topic is highly trending and it also is a topic which is here to stay! Not only is it strongly promoted by Google (actually a lot of talks at Google I/O 2017, Google's developer conference, were devoted to PWAs), it's also quickly being adopted by big companies like Twitter or the Washington Post.
Having the skills to build and optimize these kind of web apps is already an important and highly demanded skill for modern web developers, a trend which is only going to accelerate! Therefore, learning how to build PWAs will give you a competitive edge!
In detail, this course will cover everything you need to build amazing PWAs - leading to a score of 100 (out of 100) in Google's PWA auditing tool "Lighthouse":
- Detailed explanation about what a PWA exactly is
- How to use an app manifest to make your web app installable on device homescreens
- Using service workers to offer offline support by caching assets
- Advanced service worker usage and caching strategies
- A refresher on Promises and the Fetch API as both concepts are heavily used in PWAs
- How to improve user engagement by adding push notifications
- A way to synchronize data in the background, even if connection is lost
- How to access native device features like the camera or geolocation
- Using Workbox to make service worker management easier
- Explanations on how to turn your next SPA project into a PWA
- And more
So this course has a lot to offer, how do you tell if it's for you though?
It definitely is the right choice if ...
- ... you already are a web developer (no matter if experienced or still new to the business) and want to prepare for the future
- ... you want to deliver the best possible experiences to your users, using technologies like web push notifications or offline support
What do you need to know to get the most out of the course?
- No advanced knowledge of these technologies required though
I'd be very happy to welcome you on board of this course and start this journey together with you!
- Students who want to build web apps that look and behave like native mobile apps
- Students who want to build offline-ready web apps (yes, that works!)
- Anyone who wants to build web apps that offer access to the device camera, geolocation, push notifications and provide offline support
- Students who want to leverage latest browser features whilst still supporting older browsers