Programming with Python
What you'll learn
- Define what Python is and how to install the necessary software including Eclipse and Python
- Understand the fundamentals of the Python programming language
- Work with control statements including loops and conditionals
- Break out code into reusable functions and modules
- Work with strings, numbers, dates, and times
- Use data structures such as lists, tuples, and dictionaries
- Read and write to text and CSV files with file I/O concepts
- Pickle and unpickle binary data
- Create, rename, and delete folders and directories with file OS
- Handle exceptions
- You should be able to use a PC at a beginner level
- Have access to an Internet connection to download necessary software applications
- Exercise files and support PowerPoint presentations are provided as additional resources at the beginning of each lecture.
It's not often that you get to use a language as powerful and as versatile as Python. Python is a great language for writing web applications, cross-platform desktop applications, Artificial Intelligence software, shell scripts, perform scientific computation, and even create home automation software. To master these skills, you'll need a solid understanding of the Python language. In this course, Programming with Python, you'll start by learning the fundamentals of the language before venturing out to learn more advanced concepts like working with functions, modules, strings, numbers, dates and times, data structures, control statements, and much more. When you are finished with this course, you'll have a solid foundation to go out and build your own applications using Python.
Who this course is for:
- This course is meant for beginning to intermediate programmers aspiring to learn the Python language
My name is Zak Ruvalcaba and I have been researching, designing, and developing for the Web since 1995. I specialize in web and mobile web site and application development focusing on responsive user interface design, user experience, and usable presentation. I hold a Bachelor's degree from San Diego State University and a Master of Science in Instructional Technology from National University in San Diego.
My skill set includes numerous front-end and back-end authoring, scripting, and programming languages, technologies, and tools. Many of which I’ve written about or currently teach at the community college level. I am a Microsoft Certified Application Developer for .NET (MCAD) and a Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer for .NET (MCSD).
I have been teaching at the community college level for over 19 years at several community colleges including the San Diego Community College District, Mt. San Jacinto, and Palomar College. That experience has landed me the position of Associate Professor for the Front-End Web Developer Certificate Program at the San Diego Community College District's Continuing Education North City campus. Aside from my teaching duties I am also a Web Application Developer at MiraCosta College.