Programming for Kids - How to Make Coding Fun
- Computer or mobile device
- Internet connection
- Motivation to see kids fall in love with coding
This course is part of the Fractus Learning 'Bitesize' PD Program for Schools.
“I think everybody in this country should learn how to program a computer — because it teaches you how to think.” - Steve Jobs
Programming is becoming an essential skill in nearly every modern industry. In fact, it's predicted that by 2020 there will be 1,000,000 more computer science jobs than computer science students. Wow!
But more than any of that, when taught correctly, programming can be a whole heap of fun! Learning to code is an amazing, practical and hugely rewarding hobby and skill for kids of all ages.
In this jam-packed 1 hour course, we focus on the tools, techniques and ideas you can use to inspire fun and creativity in programming. With an emphasis on applications, the course steers away from code syntax or the conventions of any specific language and keeps the focus on making coding fun. In fact you won't need any background or knowledge in programming at all.
Covering games, exercises, apps and more, the course is divided into four distinct sections to help guide you from introducing your kids to code, all the way to advancing them into more complex programming:
- Before the Code
- Where to Start
- Next Steps
So if your kids, class or school are excited about using technology to change the world, this course will give you everything you need to provide a practical and fun foundation for your kids to fall in love with coding.
Click "Take This Course" and see just how fun programming can be!
- Parents who want to encourage programming skills
- Teachers who want to bring code into class
- Schools who want to embrace programming in a fun way
- Absolutely no programming experience required
- Setting Expectations
- Mindset and Motivation
- Sketching and Drawing
- Creating Mockups
- Programming Concepts with Spreadsheets
- Programming Languages
- Getting Kids Set Up
- Resources for Kids Programming
- Scratch - Programming for Beginners
- Alice - 3D Programming Environment
- Games That Make Programming Fun
- Coding on iPad
- Building Apps
- Unity - Building 3D/2D Games
- Online Communities and Forums
- Getting Involved in Computer Clubs
- The Raspberry Pi
- Recommended Books for Kids
- Thank You
Fractus Learning works with educators around the globe to promote cutting edge technology skills, tools and resources. We focus on how technology can improve the learning experience, pedagogical outcomes and make education a joy for all students.
Our goal is to motivate, excite and enhance the teaching skill set with the use of technology, making sure educators are always on the cutting edge.