Who is this course for?
"Now more than ever, we need more girls who code" (Reshma Saujani - CEO and founder of @GirlsWhoCode"
This course is specifically designed for girls (and anyone else) who wants to learn how to program. This is a kickstart into the exciting world of computer programming using Python, the most highly demanded programming language! The world of programming is not only one of the most exciting, but it is the key to unlocking our future. However, at the moment there are just not enough girls helping write our future. That is about to change!
What's the course about?
This course is all about programming. It will introduce you to the basics and teach you how to become a programmer using Python, which is considered one of the best languages for those starting out learning to program.
Why this course?
There are lots of great courses that teach you how to program…and of course we suggest you do as many as you can. However, if this is your first time, or if you are wanting to explore a potential career in programming, then this is the best course for you. Why?
Firstly it will be fun! Learning that is not fun is not fun…OK, we suppose that makes sense ;-) We want you to have fun during your learning and will not only show you what is vital - but we plan to keep it fun and interesting too.
Secondly, we know that not only do you want to enjoy your learning, you want it to be easy to follow and meaningful. As such we are careful to go in a step-by-step way through the content, ensuring you understand everything before we move on. And if at any stage you are lost, then we are here to help. Just drop us a message and we will get back to you.
Thirdly you are about to be taught - not just by one person - but by I unique father-daughter team. We have been working together for years on online courses (check out our other courses and others). Craig has a PhD in educational technology and have been involved in technology and teaching it for over 30 years. I will share with you the benefit of my knowledge of teaching ensuring that the teaching is engaging, professional and effective. Sarah, has extensive experience in programming and is in her final year of Computer Science. Together we will bring you an engaging and highly unique look into the world of programming.
What kind of materials are included?
The course includes everything you need. The lectures are professionally created, as people have come to expect from my courses. We will explain everything to you and give you access to additional files/content where they are needed.
How long will the course take to complete?
There are 9 sections to this course, with each section providing short powerful videos on individual concepts. Learning to become a programmer takes time, but by following our course and working through each section, you will move from the basics to mastering some truly exciting programming concepts.
How is this course structured?
This is an action course. So the course starts with getting to the doing straight away. The course is structured in the following way:
- Section 1 – Introduction to Programming - The purpose of this first section is to why girls should learn to program
- Section 2 – Hello World - Your First Program - In this section we download and setup Python, Wing, and write your first program
- Section 3 – How to store all my stuff - Variables & Data types - This section will show you how to work with variables and different data types as well as how to get input from userss
- Section 4 – Staying organised is easy - Lists - By the end of this section you will know how to create and work with lists
- Section 5 - So many decisions - Here we will show you how to use If and Elif statements for decisions
- Section 6 - Going Loopy - Join as we learn how to use loops/iterations to repeat code
- Section 7 - Magic Boxes - Functions - Here you will learn about the power of functions and how you can create them to make coding easier
- Section 8 - Making your own game - Let's put everything you have learned into practice as we walk through programming your own game
- Section 9 Conclusion (not really) - This is the end and the start of your exciting career as a computer programmer. Welcome to the movement #GirlsWhoCode
Why take this course?
It is quite simply the best course, covering the key content, in the most engaging way, by a most unique teaching team!