Professional Rails Code Along
- 19 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Build a professional grade Rails project
- Using Test Driven Development to develop the application
- Learn Rails best practices
- Integrate the ability to send SMS messages from an application
- Work with callbacks
- Learn how to create a full permission structure
- Using Capybara for automated, end to end testing
- Perform advanced debugging
- Implement Single Table Inheritance
- Create custom rake tasks
By combining a large number of Rails components, this is the final application that we'll build out during this course. This will include:
- Professional rails development practices
- Integrating the ability to send SMS messages
- Building an approval workflow
- Implementing authentication and authorization
- Using RSpec and Capybara for BDD/TDD
- And more
Walk through how to integrate the advanced Rails tool of Single Table Inheritance (STI) to extend the functionality of the User class and follow best practices.
Build in the ability to edit posts via behavior driven development with RSpec.
- How to build basic Ruby on Rails applications
- A basic understanding of programming
Hi and welcome to the Professional Rails Code Along Course, where I will walk through how to build a real world Ruby on Rails project that I was hired by a client to develop. My name is Jordan Hudgens, and I'll be your instructor for the course. I've built many different Ruby on Rails applications throughout the past few years for companies such as Eventbrite and Quip and one of my passions is helping individuals learn how to code.
After completing this course you will be able to build a production Rails project from scratch. But there are a million courses that will help you do that. What makes this course different is that you'll learn how to build a Rails application like a professional developer. I took a completely different approach to creating this course. I don't edit any mistakes and I filmed the entire set of videos in real time so you can watch my exact process when I am tasked with building a real world application. I made this decision so that you can get a transparent view into what it takes to become a pro developer, and also so you can see how I work through challenges, all in real time.
One of the most critical requirements for a professional Rails developer is a strong knowledge of testing. With that in mind, every feature that we build in the course will be created with the test driven development process. Some of the key features you'll learn how to implement are:
- Using TDD and BDD with the RSpec and Capybara testing frameworks
- Working with the Twilio API to send SMS messages
- Integrating a permission structure for users
- Implementing an administrator dashboard
- Working with automated email components
- Creating an approval workflow from scratch
- And much more!
This course is not for the faint of heart. The ideal student for this project is someone who has already taken a basic Rails course and wants to take their skill to the professional level.
Each lesson comes paired with the source code implemented at that stage so that you can follow along and compare your code with the codebase for the application. And beyond that you can also use the source code to extend it and build your own production applications.
Please feel free to review the course curriculum and I look forward to going through the material with you on your development journey!
- This course covers professional development processes, a basic understanding of the Ruby on Rails framework is required to understand the material.