Professional Rails Code Along
What you'll learn
- Build a professional grade Rails project
- Using Test Driven Development to develop the application
- Learn Rails best practices
- Integrate the ability to send SMS messages from an application
- Work with callbacks
- Learn how to create a full permission structure
- Using Capybara for automated, end to end testing
- Perform advanced debugging
- Implement Single Table Inheritance
- Create custom rake tasks
- How to build basic Ruby on Rails applications
- A basic understanding of programming
Hi and welcome to the Professional Rails Code Along Course, where I will walk through how to build a real world Ruby on Rails project that I was hired by a client to develop. My name is Jordan Hudgens, and I'll be your instructor for the course. I've built many different Ruby on Rails applications throughout the past few years for companies such as Eventbrite and Quip and one of my passions is helping individuals learn how to code.
After completing this course you will be able to build a production Rails project from scratch. But there are a million courses that will help you do that. What makes this course different is that you'll learn how to build a Rails application like a professional developer. I took a completely different approach to creating this course. I don't edit any mistakes and I filmed the entire set of videos in real time so you can watch my exact process when I am tasked with building a real world application. I made this decision so that you can get a transparent view into what it takes to become a pro developer, and also so you can see how I work through challenges, all in real time.
One of the most critical requirements for a professional Rails developer is a strong knowledge of testing. With that in mind, every feature that we build in the course will be created with the test driven development process. Some of the key features you'll learn how to implement are:
- Using TDD and BDD with the RSpec and Capybara testing frameworks
- Working with the Twilio API to send SMS messages
- Integrating a permission structure for users
- Implementing an administrator dashboard
- Working with automated email components
- Creating an approval workflow from scratch
- And much more!
This course is not for the faint of heart. The ideal student for this project is someone who has already taken a basic Rails course and wants to take their skill to the professional level.
Each lesson comes paired with the source code implemented at that stage so that you can follow along and compare your code with the codebase for the application. And beyond that you can also use the source code to extend it and build your own production applications.
Please feel free to review the course curriculum and I look forward to going through the material with you on your development journey!
Who this course is for:
- This course covers professional development processes, a basic understanding of the Ruby on Rails framework is required to understand the material.
Jordan Hudgens is the CTO and Founder of Bottega where he leads instruction and curriculum development for all of the DevCamp and Bottega code schools around the US.
Jordan has developed applications for Quip, Eventbrite, and DevCamp. As a teacher, he focuses on project driven education, with a focus on jobcentric techniques. This means that he focuses specifically on teaching the skills needed in the development industry. This style of teaching is conducive to learning how to build real world products that adhere to industry best practices.
Additionally Jordan has published multiple books on programming and computer science for Packt Publishing, along with developing training curriculum for Bottega, Learn Co, DevCamp, and AppDev on the topics of Ruby on Rails, Java, AngularJS, NoSQL, API development, TypeScript and algorithms.