Adobe InDesign: Professional Book Design for Beginners
What you'll learn
- How to use Adobe InDesign to create stunning book or magazine covers and page layouts using professional techniques, tricks and tips
- How to prepare, scan and digitise any original artwork to professional resolution (including personal nature journals, educational materials etc)
- How to adjust images using Adobe Photoshop
- How to use Adobe InDesign to create striking typography and make the most of display fonts and body texts
- How to set up page furniture and pagination
- Many more practical and transferable design and layout techniques for use across all types of publications
- We will be using Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop software so you'll get the most out the course if you have these software packages available to use
- This course is aimed for beginners, but some very basic knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop is assumed (eg how to open the programme on your computer)
Are you looking to learn practical and essential Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop software skills to create professional graphics, designs and typography with a focus on professional book and magazine covers and page layouts?
Do you want help to get your own or your clients fiction or non-fiction book ready for a publisher?
Do you have personal or original artwork that you want to digitalise?
If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then this course has been designed with you in mind.
This course is for everyone who is interested in using Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop essentials to start designing creative and professional graphics and designs for all types of publications. The course also teaches the skills you will need to digitise your own or original artwork from start to finish for example artwork from your sketch book, nature journals, handwritten recipe collections, educational materials - the list is endless - and create high impact publications, book and magazine covers and page layouts.
In this course, we will learn a complete step by step process to create stunning graphic design work and Professional Book and Magazine Cover Designs and Page Layouts
We will use Adobe InDesign throughout the course to develop and build your software skills and we'll also cover:
How to scan and prepare images
How to organise a book or magazine
And then we'll go deeper into typography, body text and design fonts
You will learn about page masters, page furniture, pagination and flow
Finally, you will learn how to create the 2D book cover design with the front cover and to the book cover design with front, back and spine.
You will also learn how to create the 2D book cover mockup so that you can easily present your book cover designs professionally with just a few simple clicks.
After you complete this course you will be able to design any kind of publication, book or magazine cover and format the book or magazine layout using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign.
In addition, you will also benefit from
1. Knowledge checks throughout the course to support your learning journey
2. Practical examples and assignments that you can follow to practice what you learn throughout the course
3. Full support through Udemy's online learning community
4. Full suite of resources which means you can learn using the documents you see the instructor using on the course
Learn from the approachable and patient instructor Tim Pond who is an experienced educator as well as author and illustrator of "The Field Guide to Drawing and Sketching Animals" which has been published in six languages. Tim will take you through this online course at a gentle pace, perfect for beginners.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner designers or those who would like to use Adobe InDesign to create professional book and magazine covers and layout
- People who would like to digitise original artwork using Adobe Photoshop
- Anyone keen to refresh book cover design skills and remain on trend and relevant in the workplace and for client work
- Those who are or who would like to work as freelance graphic designers
- Design students looking to brush up Adobe InDesign skills
- Individuals who have a book concept they would like to professionally present to a publisher
Tim Pond is a full time trainer and lectures in Graphic Design at Richmond upon Thames College, United Kingdom where he teaches students of all ages how to use Adobe Indesign and Adobe Photoshop to create professional work. The majority of his students go on to pursue successful careers in graphic design and illustration.
Tim's own artwork and illustration is widely recognized. His most recent publication which he wrote and illustrated is "The Field Guide to Drawing and Sketching Animals" (Search Press 2019) which has been published in eight languages.
He is the associate artist at London Zoo (ZSL) and has completed collaborations with Tring Natural History Museum, WWT Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, Barnes and the Royal Veterinary College. Tim is a judge for the Nancy Rothwell Award of the Royal Society of Biology. Previously, he was a freelance illustrator for The Guardian (a British national daily newspaper).
Tim holds an MA in Illustration from Kingston University, a degree in Fine Art from the University of the West of England and a PGCE in Art and Design from The Institute of Education in London.
You'll find Tim's teaching style is practical and down to earth and centers on giving students the access to transformative learning opportunities. Tim is a patient and generous instructor.
Tim's work spans two decades working in a great variety of media and for a range of different clients, including books, magazines, newspapers and film.