Becoming a Product Owner | Role, Craft, Skills and Tools
What you'll learn
- Understand the role of Product Owner and difference between Product Owner and Product Manager
- List the key qualities that a Product Owner has to possess in order to succeed in the role
- Identify own strengths and weaknesses and define the plan to leverage strengths and improve on weaknesses
- Understand the key principles of Agile product development
- Plan and conduct customer research
- Build simple customer personas and customer journeys
- Develop product vision and product roadmap
- Drive the product development process and stakeholders communication
- Identify and fix issues with the team's health
- Understand the difference between outcomes, outputs and team's health
- Practice asking the right questions to ensure best product outcomes
- Estimate work using story points and t-shirt sizes
- Adjust to highly volatile and complex environment
- Practice creativity and flexibility
- Give actionable feedback that supports personal growth and is not faced with hostility
- Receive feedback without hard feelings and achieve continuous personal growth
- Facilitate meetings and events, ensuring the best outcomes
- Understand the difference between Jira and Trello
- Use advanced functionality of Miro, Zoom and Slack
- Know what and when can and should be outsourced
- No prior knowledge or experience is required
Product Owner is a very hot role with rapidly growing demand. According to Glassdoor the median salary of a Product Owner is $107,368 in US with unlimited growth opportunities as you become more senior. Whether you are already stepping into this role, or are only considering to become a Product Owner or Product Manager in the near future, this course is for you!
After completing this course you will develop a good understanding of the role (who Product Owners are and what they do), the craft (what constitutes the majority of their day to day work), the skills and the tools you need to master in order to be successful. We will cover all the basics of customer research, product planning, working with a team and with stakeholders. Most of the lessons are followed by practical exercises which would allow you to immediately apply the new knowledge and skills, identify your strengths and weaknesses and gradually become a good Product Owner.
This course will provide you with all the information you need to get started. In the following courses of this series we will be diving deeper into different aspects of the profession, so after nailing all the basics you will know what you need to learn and practice next.
What should you expect after completing this course?
You will develop an in-depth understanding of the profession, key skills and tools. You will know what are your strengths that will help you to excel in the Product Owner role and you will understand in which areas you need to gain additional knowledge or practice. You will develop a fluency in Product Owner lingo, and will have enough theoretical knowledge to start interviewing for the Product Owner roles. You will master a number of useful tools that you can add to your resume and you will be able to confidently navigate product planning and development processes.
Emm... What about Product Managers?
We will discuss it in the course, but in most companies the roles of Product Owner and Product Manager often overlap. So if you are a Product Manager or are aspiring to become one, chances are high you will find this course very useful. If in doubt, check out the first lesson (free preview is available) and decide if it's relevant to you or not.
Why this course?
Your instructor is an enterprise Agile Coach (ex-Indeed and ex-McKinsey) who has trained thousands of people, hundreds of teams and dozens of organizations throughout her career. I have developed and conducted multiple trainings and bootcamp programs for Product Owners and Product Managers, coaching both those who are new to the role as well as senior POs and PMs looking to acquire new skills. I focus on practical aspects, give you actionable tools and help you to make your new skills stick. I care about your success and I want to see more skillful and motivated Product Owners in this world!
Sign up today and let's take the first step towards your new career together!
UPDATE: auto-generated English captions have been reviewed, edited and updated, so that you can enjoy accurate captions!
Who this course is for:
- Junior Product Owners and Product Managers
- Aspiring Product Owners and Product Managers
- Anyone who is curious about the role and wants to understand whether it could be a right fit for them
- Agile coaches who need tools to coach and train Product Owners
- Small business owners and startup owners who want to learn how to build great products efficiently
Having nearly 10 years of experience as Agile practitioner, Product Owner and Agile coach, I have worked with hundreds of teams to help them become more customer-centric, efficient and outcome-driven.
I used to work for NTT Communications, Rakuten, Indeed and most recently - for McKinsey & Company Japan, driving large scale Agile transformations across multiple industries and locations as an Enterprise Agile Coach. Now I have my own coaching and consulting business, Agile Apothecary (see "website")
I am passionate about teaching and coaching - nothing can be compared with the joy of helping someone to understand a new concept or to improve the way they are doing something.
I live and work in Tokyo, Japan and do a lot of snowboarding and scuba diving in my free time.
I was born in Russia (in case you are wondering about the accent) and I've been living in Japan since 2011. I chose to renounce my nationality in 2021 for political reasons and got naturalized as a Japanese citizen. I am strongly condemning the Russian aggression in Ukraine, I wish for the war to be ended and for war criminals to be punished. I am standing with Ukraine and I want to ask you, my dear students and future students to also support this beautiful brave country in the ways that are available to you.