Product Management - How to get a "user first" thinking
What you'll learn
- Learn how to build products users love
- Building a user first mindset along the whole product lifecycle
- How to identify your user and target your product to exactly this user, while building a scalable solution for several thousands and millions of user
- Gain insights from many practical examples, tools, frameworks, methods, processes, how-to’s, and lessons learned which you can leverage within your daily life
- Understand the importance of Product Management and the history
- Understand your role, responsibilities, needed competencies, collaboration with different teams, as well as insights into a t-shape profile
- What lifelong learning is all about and how to approach it
- How to approach the problem and solution space framework
- Gain many insights into the design thinking approach
- Market sizing and validating if the market is worth to approach incl. a top-down and bottom-up approach
- The importance and how to conduct market research
- Validating and testing your solution with different approaches
- How to create a product which is 10x better than the current products on the market
- Learn the differences between iteration and innovation and why both are important
- Prioritize your backlog using KANO model, MoSCoW framework, RICE framework, and value vs. effort framework
- Characteristics and how to approach an alpha launch, beta launch, and general availability
- Test your functionalities with A/B and multivariate testing
- Business relevant topics like how to make sure that your product is a financial healthy product leveraging LTV and CAC
- How to create a value-based roadmap and why it is important
- Insights into data management, e. g., HEART and AARRR framework, why data is important, and how to approach it
- What it means to have a running product and update your stakeholders
- How to pitch your solution and how to define a value proposition
- Bonus section about how to come up with great ideas and solutions
- No special requirements needed
Free issue of an eBook
92 additional external resources
All videos can be downloaded
This course is dedicated to product managers who want to build products users love.
Product Management has become central to starting a venture, entrepreneurship, innovation and certainly, product management as a role within the different companies - no matter the size. This is not just a normal product management course. This course is unique, since the focus is on the user and how you can get a user first mindset. It is about solving problems, identifying needs and to simply make the life of your users easier. What do the most successful companies have in common? They have truly mastered the user-centric approach to developing their products. And that is exactly the goal of this course. I will share many examples, tools, frameworks, methods, processes, how-to’s, and lessons learned which you can leverage within your daily life. Based on practical insights, you will get a full picture about your role as a product manager, as well as on the whole product lifecycle from identifying and assessing an opportunity, conducting market research, creating and designing your product, the whole management of the development process and launch of your product, data management, tasks during the go-live of your product, and, certainly, pitching your product. Furthermore, each chapter consists of exercises. In addition, the goal of this course is not to describe each and every aspect in detail, but to equip you with the necessary insights, tools, methods, and frameworks in order to create products user love.
By signing-up for this course, you will get a free issue of an eBook with more than 480 pages (delivered in a larger format for better readability and has therefore 249 pages, but 100% same content), which is based on all the topics mentioned in this course incl. an additional file with key takeaways. Furthermore, all videos can be downloaded and you will find 92 additional external resources attached to the corresponding lectures.
With main focus on the software industry, this course is a perfect fit for people who want to become a product manager, who are new to the role of a product manager, seasoned product managers who want to understand more about user focus, as well as entrepreneurs. In addition, you will find some differences between a product manager in a start-up and a corporate world.
I’m sure you gain a lot of learnings throughout this course with practical insights and tools you can incorporate in your daily life as a product manager, but also to improving your interpersonal skills in a professional as well as private life. This content is based on my more than 20 years of professional experience in creating more than 100 software products and new business models within a corporate world and as an entrepreneur, as well as insights I gained in more than 200 go-lives. I wish you a lot of fun and look forward to get in touch with you!
I want to see you, building great products your users love!
Who this course is for:
- Early-career professionals within product management or any product support role with one to five years of experience
- Professionals who want to transition to product management
- Seasoned product managers who want to gain additional insights and views
- People who want to start in a startup or corporate world
More than 20 years experience in professional software development and technology services as a Product Manager, Product Owner, and Entrepreneur. Managed over 200 successful go-lives, more than 100 different products and introduction of new business models. Finalist of ‘SAP Hasso Plattner Founders Award’ – highest employee recognition within SAP.
07/2021 – present
Product Manager “SAP Business Process Management”, SAP SE
08/2018 – 06/2021
Product Manager “S/4HANA Service / Produce”, SAP SE
Delivered more than 30 cloud and on-premise releases incl. maintenance of more than 120 components. Defined 2 new products from scratch and enhanced several existing. Lateral Leadership of cross-functional and multi-cultural team of 10. Planned and conducted several customer meetings onsite and remotely. Leading Technical Product Owner Roundtable of about 18 Product Owners to identify gaps and streamline activities.
10/2017 – 07/2018
Senior Strategic Consultant “IoT Strategy & Innovation”, SAP SE
Supported 6 strategic IoT and robotics projects with customers and partners which led to 3 successful standard products. Managed unit operations for a $1.5 Mio. budget and headcount relevant topics. Created in collaboration with different teams several business cases to get funding / headcount for strategic customer projects.
04/2015 – 09/2017
Product Manager, Digital Platform, SAP SE
Managed the development and establishment of a new unit and product which was used by about 50 customers and partners worldwide. Bi-weekly delivery of our cloud product. Finalist (Top 7) of “SAP Hasso Plattner Founders Award”. Executed product demo on stage in front of more than 10.000 people, as well as several C-level executives and on customer side. Successfully managed integration of 10 internal & external systems.
03/2012 – 03/2015
Technology Consultant SAP CRM, SAP Deutschland SE & Co. KG
More than 60 customer facing implementation projects. Successfully implemented and leaded multiple projects of different sizes, complexity, and budget within SAP and for customers. More than 80 workshops and trainings executed during implementation projects and SAP trainings on behalf of SAP Education.
Product Management: Transforming Opportunities into Great Products (online course)
Stanford University, Center of Professional Development, Stanford, California, USA
10/2017 – 12/2019
MBA - International Business Management (distance learning) - degree 1,2 (Valedictorian)
University of Applied Sciences, Ludwigshafen Rhine, Germany
03/2009 – 02/2012
B. Sc. Business Information Systems
University of Applied Sciences, Ludwigshafen Rhine, Germany