Process Safety Management (PSM)
What you'll learn
- To provide a general background of Process Safety Management (PSM) and its basic structure.
- To briefly discuss the evolution of PSM and its elements.
- To understand the Risk-Based Process Safety (RBPS) system.
- To study 14 elements and 20 elements PSM system.
- No specific requirements for learning the concept of Process Safety Management (PSM).
•PSM is a framework for identifying and managing process risks.
•It is a type of safety management system that is specific for the process industries.
•The ultimate goal of PSM is to prevent the occurrence of major hazard incidents which are not appropriately addressed through traditional occupational health and safety procedures.
•PSM strives to ensure all hazards of a process are identified and effectively managed for the lifetime of the process, regardless of changes in personnel, organization, or environment.
•In fact, PSM is the proactive application of management principles to a process for the prevention of loss of containment events.
PSM system is founded on four themes:
1) Commitment of management and corporate objectives to PSM.
2) Hazard assessment, including process knowledge and hazard identification.
3) Risk management such as managing change in the process and change in personnel.
4) Continual improvement such as furthering employee competency, enhancing process safety, etc.
•OSHA’s process safety management (PSM) program is divided into 14 elements.
•OSHA (CFR 1910.119) defines all 14 elements of PSM plan.
1. Process Safety Information
2. Process Hazard Analysis
3. Operating Procedures
6. Mechanical Integrity
7. Hot Work
8. Management of Change
9. Incident Investigation
10. Compliance Audits
11. Trade Secrets
12. Employee Participation
13. Pre-Startup Safety Review (PSSR)
14. Emergency Planning and Response
Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) - American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) -
Risk-Based Process Safety Management (RBPS) - 20 Elements
1. Process Safety Culture
2. Compliance with Standards
3. Process Safety Competency
4. Workforce Involvement
5. Stakeholder Outreach
6. Process Knowledge Management
7. Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment (HIRA)
8. Operating Procedures
9. Safe Work Practices
10. Asset Integrity and Reliability
11. Contractor Management
12. Training and Performance Assurance
13. Management of Change (MOC)
14. Operational Readiness
15. Conduct of Operations
16. Emergency Management
17. Incident Investigation
18. Measurement and Metrics
20. Management Review and Continuous Improvement
Who this course is for:
- Students or Industrial persons who are interested in Safety, Health and Environment field.
I have done Master in Chemical Engineering and Advanced Diploma in Industrial Safety, Currently I am working as a Head (Advanced Diploma In Industrial Safety) cum Lecturer in Chemical Engg at K. K.Wagh Polytechnic, Nashik.
I have 17 years experience as a Lecturer in Chemical Engineering and simultaneously I am having 11 years experience as a HOD cum Visiting Faculty for Advanced Diploma in Industrial safety.
I have attended various International,National Conferences, Workshops,Faculty development Programs etc. keeping in mind the passion about Industrial Safety, Chemical Engineering & Environment topics.