Professional Ruby on Rails Developer with Rails 5
What you'll learn
- Build web apps using Ruby on Rails
- Build automated test suites for complex web applications
- Become a confident web application developer
- Compete for the highest paying junior developer jobs
- Be proficient in back-end development
- Start your own business by bringing your ideas to life
- No prior experience necessary - enthusiasm and willingness to learn is all you need!
- A modern web browser and internet connection
- Software used in the course is free
- Some web basics like HTML/CSS will be helpful but not necessary
Fully up-to-date fall-2017
The Professional Ruby on Rails Developer with Rails 5 is the latest course brought to you by the creators of the best-selling Ruby on Rails course on Udemy! Built by taking 2 years of feedback from thousands of students over multiple Rails courses - it provides the best introduction to Web Applications Development using the wildly popular Ruby on Rails framework. It takes you from beginner to expert in just 8 weeks! With Rails 5 and the introduction of ActionCable you can now build realtime features like chatrooms with ease and we'll show you how! This course is for students of all levels and backgrounds, those who have no experience in programming at all, those who have worked with other web app development frameworks but want to make the switch to or try Ruby on Rails and also for students who have tried Ruby on Rails in the past but want to take their skills to the next level, just to name a few.
Why Ruby on Rails? Since its introduction, Ruby on Rails has rapidly become one of the most powerful tools for building web applications for startups and existing software houses. Some of the top sites using Ruby on Rails are Basecamp, Twitter, Shopify, Github, LivingSocial, Groupon, Hulu, Airbnb, Yellow Pages and much more. It's perfect for entrepreneurs or startups looking to rapidly prototype their ideas and bring them to life.
This course provides a very structured approach of teaching Rails and how to use Rails to implement ideas. It teaches the techniques to make the code work for the student. There will be video lectures, text follow-up lectures after each video lecture, homework, challenge projects and monthly code challenges. There will be references to free resources available on the internet to supplement the course materials. There is also a live chat channel where students from all our Rails courses hangout and help each other out with questions, solutions and general networking!
A big focus of this course is practice and understanding fundamentals. Most of the code is done from scratch limiting the use of shortcuts, generators and absolutely no scaffolding or "magic". This is also accomplished by diving right in and using a pre-configured Ruby on Rails development environment in the cloud eliminating time required to setup a local development environment and the roadblocks that go with it.
Some key aspects of this course are:
- Realtime Chatroom and Comments feature using ActionCable!
- Rails 5 using free cloud-based Integrated Development Environment
- Live chat help from other students, you're joining a community of developers who will help you ease your way in!
- Working with git for version control and github as code repository
- 20 hours of high quality content with text lectures after every video lecture with code and directions
- Help from professional Teaching Assistant in the Q & A section and also in the live chat!
- Rails MVC structure in-depth - Models, Views, Controllers
- Conceptualization and Design
- Building own authentication system from scratch using default Rails stack, including admin feature, log in/logout and signup
- Working with Bootstrap for UI, Amazon Web Services for file/image hosting, Gravatars
- Test Driven Development (TDD) for majority of the application, introduced very early on. Build automated test suite side-by-side with the app featuring model (unit) and feature (integration) tests with the default rails testing framework
- Model and non-model backed forms, implementing like/dislike voting feature
- Migrations, one-to-many and many-to-many associations at the database layer and implementation using Rails and ActiveRecord
- much, much more!
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to build web applications
- Anyone who wants to build multiple income streams by building projects
- Anyone who wants to start their own business
- Anyone who wants to freelance
- Anyone who wants to be a valued developer in the workforce
- Anyone who wants to build their dreams and bring them to life
Hi! I'm Rob. I have a degree in Mathematics from Cambridge University and you might call me a bit of coding geek.
After building websites for friends and family for fun, I soon learned that web development was a very lucrative career choice. I gave up my successful (and sometimes stressful) job as a teacher to work part time and today, couldn't be happier.
I'm passionate about teaching kids to code, so every summer I run Code School in the beautiful city of Cambridge. I also run the popular web hosting and design service, Eco Web Hosting which leaves me free to share my secrets with people like you.
You wouldn't believe the freedom that being a web developer offers. Sign up and find out for yourself why so many people are taking and recommending this course. I genuinely believe it's the best on the market and if you don't agree, I'll happily refund your money.
Sign up to my courses and join me in this amazing adventure today.
Hi, I'm Mashrur, I'm a full-time programming instructor specializing in programming fundamentals, web application development, machine learning and cyber security. I have been a technology professional for over a decade and have degrees in Computer Science and Economics.
My niche is building comprehensive career focused technology courses for students entering new/complex and challenging fields in today's technology space. This is a nice segway for me, since my real passion is building and tinkering with programming languages. I love everything to do with development and learning about new tools and technologies. My favorite languages are Python and Ruby on Rails, and my favorite tech fields are web app development, machine learning and data-analytics (which is where Ruby on Rails and Python fall into place nicely). I encourage my students to focus on these technologies as well.
In my past (corporate) life, I worked with Enterprise Software Systems with roles played in analysis, development, management and training. I led projects using both agile and waterfall methodologies and thus am well versed in the inner workings of the software development and delivery world.
During my time in corporate America, I realized how much I enjoyed training new hires and new team members and helping them succeed. I dedicated a good amount of time over 7 years on-boarding new analysts and developers and then worked with them to build and maintain systems which put me in a unique position to know and understand what new entrants to a field need in order to succeed. I strongly believe in focusing on fundamentals and practice; and not in shortcuts or gimmicks.
So join me for my comprehensive career-focused technology courses as I guide you through the world of web application development, machine learning and cyber security using Python, Ruby on Rails, MySQL and others and bringing your ideas and passions to life.
Best-selling Udemy instructor Rob Percival wants to revolutionize the way people learn to code by making it simple, logical, fun and, above all, accessible. But as just one man, Rob couldn’t create all the courses his students - more than half a million of them - wanted.
That’s why Rob created Codestars. Together, the instructors that make up the Codestars team create courses on all the topics that students want to learn in the way that students want to learn them: courses that are well-structured, super interactive, and easy to understand. Codestars wants to make it as easy as possible for learners of all ages and levels to build functional websites and apps.