Probability & Statistics for Business & Data Science
What you'll learn
- Data Analysis - Learn the most important tools for making sense of data.
- Data Visualization - Learn how to use Excel to create effective visuals.
- Interpretation - Learn to understand and comment on data visualizations.
- Cleaning Data - Get your data ready for analysis
- Sampling - Learn different methods, and when they work.
- Probability - Learn all the most important techniques in basic probability theory.
- Nothing beyond basic arithmetic and a desire to learn.
This is a course for people who want to use statistics to make better business and data science decisions. In the course I cover all the foundational concepts needed to begin your journey in data science, business analytics, or any area in which you need to use data to understand the world. No prior knowledge of the subject is assumed, and you'll need nothing more than basic arithmetic and a desire to learn to get everything from this course.
I make statistics understandable and usable, particularly if you are new to the field, or have not used statistics in a meaningful way in business or data science previously. This is an excellent start!
The course is hands on and practical, with a focus on showing you how to use the skills taught. Wherever possible, I show you how to implement the techniques in Microsoft Excel.
Key concepts taught in the course include:
· Descriptive Statistics - the nuts and bolts needed when analyzing and working with data, from averages to measures of spread and correlation, to more advanced measures such as skew.
· Cleaning Data - the world sometimes gives us messy data, and I'll show you how to clean it up and make sense of it.
· Visualizing Data - I'll show you all the standard ways to usefully visualize your data, and in each case show you how to use Excel to create beautiful visualizations.
· Probability - I'll teach you all the fundamentals of probability, up to and including conditional probability and an intro to Bayesian statistics.
As always, if you ever have questions about the content I'm waiting in the Q&A to help you out, and try to answer all my students questions.
I really hope you enjoy this course!
Who this course is for:
- People who want to use statistics to make better decisions.
After finishing my studies at Oxford University I worked for a year in India before moving to London, which is where I have been ever since.
I have taught mathematics in some of the best performing schools in the country for over 10 years, where I have taught all levels of school maths, including GCSE, A-Level, Further Maths and Oxbridge entrance paper preparation. I also have 1000's of hours of tutoring experience working one-to-one with students on A-level maths and further maths.
Alongside this I have worked with businesses to train their staff in mathematical skills, such as statistics, data analysis and mathematical software packages.
Away from my work I love music and long-distance cycling, and recently cycled from London to Istanbul.
Starweaver is an education company comprised of hundreds of leading instructors based around the world. Our instructors are seasoned practitioners who have worked in the fields their cover and relate the subjects covered to real work situations you will encounter in your job. Thus, the concepts and worked examples are real, the coverage is at the right level of depth, and the material is straightforward.
We deliver practical and hands-on courses focused in several key domains:
1. Data Science, including big data, machine learning, data visualization, data analytics...
2. Cloud Computing, including Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform / Firebase, IoT, Platform as a Service, Infrastructure as a Services, Software as a Service...
4. Agility & Stability, including a broad group of frameworks and techniques involving Agile, Scrum, Kanban, TOGAF, ITIL, cybersecurity...
5. Finance, Banking, Securities & Business, including a strong emphasis on banking, finance, securities, and insurance (e.g., derivatives, credit risk management, corporate finance, financial modelling...)...
Each course is designed to boost your knowledge and skills in the shortest possible time so that you can apply what you gain immediately in your job, or that next great job you are looking to start. We cover the full range of skills from the most introductory for students and new career starters, as well as advanced or complex subjects.
If you want to take a great leap forward in your career, we are here to make that happen. Let's get going!
LEARNING IS ABOUT DETERMINATION
Persistence and determination beats the natural gifts and intelligence that you are born with. If there is only one take-away you have from reading about my experience and education over many years it is just that.
Luck is the second most valuable thing to possess. But, you never get lucky if you are not prepared. Your determination will get and keep you prepared, and then "getting lucky" will simply be appearing in the right place at the right time.
You don't need to be persistent or lucky all the time: just at the right time. That is, assuming you are prepared. Think of this like a surfboarder paddling out to the waves. Prepare and train so you are ready. Paddle out and put yourself in what you see at the "right" position. Watch the waves and currents. Use your training adjust your position. And, when the timing is right, paddle furiously, get on your board, apply what you've been trained to do and give it everything you've got!
MY COMMITMENT TO YOU
I am dedicated to designing, developing and delivering great content for you. I hope I have done that successfully here, and I believe you can see that in the 100s of 1000s of students signed up for my courses.
I have been creating live and recorded courses for many years, and have a great team of instructors who deliver excellent content. All of these instructors are former (or current) practitioners, so what you will learn is designed and created with real world applications in mind.
EDUCATION IS A PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN STUDENT & INSTRUCTOR
i believe education needs to be interactive and engaging. For you to really learn, you need to be involved, to ask questions, and to interact with me, your instructors, and your fellow students. Gone are the days of memorization. By getting involved you will challenge me (and yourself) so that you solidify your understanding and your ability to apply what you learn in your job and life.
Here are some suggestions that will help you out:
1. Commit to start your course on a specific date and time.
2. Commit to dedicate X hours per day to that course (ideally at the same time of day/night)
3. Review what you didn't understand after you have moved forward. That is, 'go back to go forward.'
4. Participate in our community. Ask questions. Push back on what is presented. Make us do more to help you learn. If we (or any other instructor) doesn't do that, then the courses simply become dusty content on your digital shelf. You will actually have learned very little.
My singular goal is to spread useful knowledge and skills to you. That is why I am here. Feel free to reach out to me in our classes and online.
Always be learning.