Practical Drone Flying: The Basics (UK)
What you'll learn
- Understand what category they can fly their drone in
- Understand airspace in the UK and where it is legal to fly
- Be able to conduct a pre and post flight inspection of their drone
- Understand the basics of camera operation for photography & video
- No experience needed. This course is for everyone one who wants to learn the basics of flying a drone safely
In this course you'll learn practical tips on flying your drone in the UK's airspace. We will have a look at how airspace works in the UK and how we fit into it as drone pilots. This isn't a regulations course, but we will cover a few of the basics to help guide you through the new European legislation. Other topics that will be covered will be checking your drone before flight, how the failsafe systems work, what to be aware of with your GPS enabled aircraft and why knowing about the Military Low Flying System is crucial for drone pilots. When talking about airspace we need to know how to identify the airspace we're in and how to find out who to talk to for permissions or in an emergency. We’ll guide you through the process and give you some hints and tips to make it as easy as possible. Even how to find the phone numbers for your local air traffic controllers. Finally, we’ll cover some human factors issues that can affect drone pilots distilled from years of assessing candidates on professional courses. As an added bonus we’re going to include some information on basic camera settings for photography and video to get you off auto mode and making the best out of your drone.
Who this course is for:
- Novice pilots who want to learn the basics without it costing the Earth. This course is a stepping stone to the official courses supplied by Recognised Assessment Entities.
Following a 22 year career I left my job as a rotary wing crewman in the RAF in 2015 and decided to put my aviation knowledge to good use. I became an instructor and flight assessor on PfCO and subsequently GVC/ A2 CofC courses for UAVHub, ConsortiQ and AV-8 Group. As a drone operator in my own right I have worked on productions for BBC 2 & Channel 5 as well as for numerous independent TV production companies. Since founding Blue Giraffe Imaging I have found a love of photography and videography and still get enjoyment flying drones as much as I can around Scotland. This course was born out of a need to fill the knowledge gap between those who went down the formal qualification route and a hobbyist with the basic teachings of the DMARES. I hope you enjoy the course and get a lot out of it. Thanks for joining us. Jamie