Power Transformer Fundamentals
What you'll learn
- Introduction to Delta Wye Transformer Connection
- Unlock the complex equations of Line and Phase voltage by phasor diagrams
- Learn how winding connections are represented in transformer nameplate
- Explore methods to learn how transformer connection is represented
- How wye connection is made
- Different ways to configure wye connected transformer
- How voltage and current quantities are calculated
- How balanced sets are created by phasors
- How to hand calculate current and voltages during a faulted condition
- How to calculate both phase current and voltages as well as sequence current and voltages.
- Ways to relate calculated short circuit currents with sequence network diagrams
- Method to draw zero-sequence network for a delta wye transformer
- Basic understanding of Power Transformer
We all might understand how transformer operates but when it comes to its winding connections for Power Transformer, we rarely delve into these theories due to confusing and complex calculations. This course aims to teach you the fundamentals of power transformer, making these connections understandable for you.
I will start this course by explaining the basics of Delta Wye connected transformer, how line to ground voltage can be related to line to line voltage and the practical examples to connect theory with practical life. This module will help you to understand the complex theory behind the Delta Wye transformer connection as I aim to build your strong concept through phasor diagrams. After this module you will be able to draw Delta Wye connection of transformer. By the end of this part, you will have a strong idea on voltage phasor diagram for delta connected transformer. In this module, different types of phasor diagram are compared with each other. I add on value by explaining how the transformer name is designated and the problems that come up with this designation.
Once you are familiar with the calculation and phasor representation of voltage and current quantities for Delta Wye connected transformer, I will introduce you to Wye Wye transformer connection. In this module, you will learn all the confusing theory of Wye Wye transformer connection from very scratch. This section will teach you how Wye connection is made on windings of transformer, what are different ways to configure Wye connection. To give you a better understanding of Wye Wye transformer connection, I discussed the difference of line and phase current in both windings of transformer. Furthermore, you will learn how voltage and current quantities are calculated in addition with the rules for balanced system, and how balanced sets are created by phasors.
Lastly, I will explain Circulating Currents and Voltages for Delta Wye connected transformer. Very simple power system is modelled as an example to calculate current and voltages during a faulted condition. For the practical model, you will learn how to calculate both phase and sequence current and voltages, how to relate sequence network diagram with hand-calculated short circuit currents. Furthermore, you will learn how current flows through the Delta Wye transformer connection. And how the High Voltage side of the system differs from the Low Voltage side.
I have been creating high quality video tutorials about Power Systems since 2015 and focus specifically on the fundamentals. It is dedicated to the people who make power and energy work and make sure that Power Systems are safe, reliable, operable, protected and well designed. But it takes time and money to continue delivering high quality video tutorials. My goal is incredibly simple. I want to make Power Systems Intuitive, Open and Free to everyone, everywhere. Your purchase will allow me to keep making valuable technical videos free for those who can't afford it and keep the doors of knowledge open to everyone. Thank you for supporting me.
See you on the other side. Thank you and take care.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for Electrical Engineering students who have keen interest in Power Transformer. This course is also useful for qualified electricians, professional engineers, EITs, drafters, equipment reps, suppliers, and distributors who want to refresh their knowledge on Power Transformer.
Abdur Rehman is an experienced professional with over 8 years of experience in the Utilities industry with a particular focus on Power Systems operation, protection and System studies. He has been an active participant and Young Professional Leader (Volunteer) in the Greater Seattle Area. Perhaps most importantly he has always been passionate about education and his dedication to the development of General PAC platform that is the key motivation behind these courses.
Completing his BSEE, MSEE and Master’s in Engineering Technology Management from Washington State University, Abdur Rehman has extensive practical experience when it comes to engineering design, field experience, and leadership in the Power Systems Industry.
He worked in the Electrical Utility and consulting sector and brings a wealth of knowledge, explosive insight, and thoughtful prospective in his courses and tutorials. Today, Abdur is an Engineering Manager at AllumiaX, LLC and Principal consultant at EPSFresno.
In a nutshell, all GeneralPAC by AllumiaX courses are special because of his love to share knowledge in the most intuitive way possible.