Excel Power Query Training - Beginners to Advanced level
- 5 hours on-demand video
- 1 article
- 2 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- At the end of this Power Query Training you would understand 80% of features available in Power Query
- You would be able to perform various complex data cleansing activities using Power Query
- You would be able to automate various task which would have taken long hours of work.
- You should have basic knowledge of using Excel.
- You should be aware about Table feature in Excel.
- You should have Excel 2010 / 2013 / 2016 version installed in your PC.
- You would need to install Power Query if you are using Excel 2010 or 2013. (will be shown during the course intro)
What is POWER QUERY (PQ)?
It's a FREE tool provided by Microsoft for Excel users.
Yes you read it correctly. This tool is FREE !!!
And Power Query can make novice Excel user to PRO-Excel user very quickly & this training will make your journey easy and memorable.
Power Query is available for ALL users of Excel 2010 / 2013 / 2016 and PowerBI. In Excel 2016 it has been renamed as "Get & Transform".
This course topics can be applied for all versions of Power Query - Excel 2010 / 2013 / 2016 & Power BI.
Power Query is a tool that can be used for data discovery, reshaping the data and combining data ( Merge / Blend / Consolidate, etc.) coming from different sources. Power Query can connect directly to Excel, Access, Text, CSV, Hadoop, Sales Force, Azure and many other different sources of data.
You can perform and automate all the Extract > Transform > Load (ETL) tasks required to clean the data and make it usable for further analysis in Tableau, Power BI, Excel, Access, etc.
Power Query is a tool...
- Tool that is very easy to learn even for novice excel users.
- A tool that can extract / connect to data from almost any source.
- Merge and shape data sourced to match your data analysis requirements
- Prepare your data for further analysis and modelling by tools like Power Pivot, etc.
- Keeps sequential record of all the steps performed from source till final output
- You can review your automation steps later and easily modify it.
Thus, you can focus on turning data into insight and adding true value to your company and to yourself as well.
The best part is that most of the automation features in Power Query are located within its ribbon so you have to just click it with mouse and start your automation in Excel. This GUI is one of the most intuitive interfaces I have found in any tool yet.
For learning about Power Query you do not need to learn or have prior knowledge about any programming languages like Excel VBA or SQL, etc.
If you are planning to implement Data Analytics or Business Intelligence solutions using Power Pivot, Power View, Power Map, Power BI, Tableau, Python or R, etc. then you must learn Power Query before all these other tools.
Why should you learn Power Query?
Now let's try to relate how Power Query can be useful to you. See if you answer positively to any one of the questions enumerated below:
- Do you work with data on daily basis?
- Do you regularly build multiple dashboards?
- Do you need to import data for above reporting from different sources?
- You have to perform extensive data cleansing before your perform analysis?
- Do you create Management Information Systems (MIS) reports regularly?
- Are you working as part of any Data Analytics Projects / Power BI / Tableau / Business Intelligence Projects?
- Do you use complex / advanced Excel formulas / Excel VBA coding (macros) / SQL?
- Filtering out data you don't need
- Deleting / sorting rows, columns or blanks
- Transforming text, numeric, and date columns.
- Removing spaces and special characters from your data.
- Fixing the layout into tabular format so that it will work in Pivot Tables
- Renaming, adding / removing, Splitting / joining and reordering columns
- Creating calculating columns / fields which never existed in the source data.
- Merging / consolidating / appending data from Text files, CSV files or database tables.
- Incorporating the next month (or period) data to an existing report.
- Perform same steps again when receive new file or data in next month
If you have answered positive for any of the questions or your job looks similar then you have come to right place - Power Query Training. It does not matter if you are a novice Excel user, or Advanced Excel user, you regularly code VBA / macros to automate repetitive task in Excel, this Power Query Training course is must for you.
Thought process behind POWER QUERY and this training course:
I have noted at numerous occasions that people are not aware about these new amazing tools introduced by Microsoft. Also, few people who have heard about it but does find proper resource to learn about using this tool. Hence i thought of publishing this Power Query Training here so that you can learn in structured manner about how to perform various data cleansing task in Excel using Power Query.
You DO NOT need any programming, Excel VBA coding or SQL knowledge to start using Power Query. After completing this course you would be proficient in using Power Query and can immediately apply concepts to your work. You will move from Power Query newbie to proficient user after this course.
I can confidently tell you that your investment in this course will be paid off within a months by way of saving you lot of efforts and time while working on Excel. And if you are not satisfied from this Power Query Training you can get your money back within 30 days of enrolling into the course.
So Enroll quickly and start learning & using Power Query.
- Novice Excel user to Advanced Excel users
- People performing Data Analytics in Excel, Power Pivot, Power BI, Tableau, Python, R
- Business Intelligence Specialists using Excel, Tableau, Power Pivot, Power BI, Python, R
- Data Analysts / Financial Analysts using Excel, Tableau, Power Pivot, Power BI, Python, R
- If you or your team needs to fetch data from different sources and transform it so that it can be used in Excel for further analysis, then this course will help you master Power Query features from scratch
- IT specialists who performs Extract Transform & Load (ETL) activities for business
As a first step to start using Power Query you need to learn how to import data into Power Query. In this video of Power Query training I have explained steps to import data from existing Excel file into Power Query for - Excel table, Named Ranges and Dynamic ranges in Excel sheet.
After your perform your transformation steps within Power Query you would need to load that data back either as Excel table into sheet or store it as connection only or directly load it to PowerPivot Data model. The required steps for this are explained in this video.
Instead of importing the data stored in files in a particular folder you want to create a list of ALL the files stored in that folder just to keep track of what is being received and what is pending then watch this video. This will explain how to create dynamic list of files stored in particular folder.
Now when you share the file which contains data imported from source other than existing file to your colleague or other person then the link to that source will be broken. Other person will have to change the source manually. The steps required to change the source is being explained in this video.
Other than appending the data you want to consolidate or join the data. This same as applying VLOOKUP in Excel. However, these joins are more robust, faster and easy to change compared to other lookup functions in excel. This video will explain theory about different joins in Power Query.
In this video with the help of examples you will understand how you can perform joins using single or multiple columns in Power Query. Type of joins covered are Left Join, Right Join, Left Anti Join, Right Anti Join, Full outer join and Inner join (matching rows). This video will explain all the steps required to perform merging Power Queries.
In addition to six types of joins there are situation where you would need to perform Cross Join or Cartesian Product of tables. These types of joins are useful for analyzing Events in Progress types of analysis. We will lookout at workaround in Power Query to perform this type of Cross Joins.
Other than just performing Data cleansing activities, Power Query can also perform various Data Analytics and first level statistical analysis as well. How you can perform multiple SUMIFS, MAXIFS, MINIFS, MEDIANIFS in power query is explained in this video.