How to Make Pottery on the Wheel for Beginners
What you'll learn
- Buy the right tools for the job for around $10
- Set up your permanent or temporary pottery studio.
- Arrange your wheel, water and tools and get ready to throw a pot.
- Throw a pot on the wheel from start to finish.
- Choose the right clay.
- Center your clay on the wheel.
- Pull up the walls of your pot.
- Shape the walls and finish the rim of your pot.
- Cut your pot free from the pottery wheel.
- Throw a bowl.
- Throw a vase.
- Throw a plate and trim a foot into the bottom of it on the pottery wheel.
- You will get the most out of this course if you have access to a pottery wheel and clay so you can follow along with the lessons. This course is suitable for first time beginners on the wheel or students who need to troubleshoot their techniques and/or learn some new throwing tricks.
Have you been dying to learn how to do pottery? Now is your chance. This course will teach you how to throw a pot on the wheel, from pulling your clay out of the bag to removing your pot from the wheel.
This pottery wheel course is for first time beginners new to throwing on the pottery wheel or for intermediate students who want to brush up their skills or troubleshoot their skills for quicker success.
It doesn’t include instruction on the process of firing your pottery once it has been thrown. That's for another course.
This course includes the following:
1. How to arrange your pottery wheel workspace, your clay, your water and your tools. How to set up a temporary kitchen tabletop studio if you have limited space. How to set up a room as a permanent studio if you have lots of space.
2. How to throw a pot on the pottery wheel. This is step by step lesson that takes you from pulling a piece of clay out of the bag to centering all the way through to cutting your pot off the wheel.
3. Specific tips and troubleshooting techniques to help you rapidly improve your pottery making on the wheel. These lessons will not only help you to quickly learn important skills, they will help you to avoid many of the common pitfalls that beginners and intermediate students face when learning to throw pottery.
4. Video demonstrations of the entire throwing process that you can watch over and over again to improve your technique. This will help you to throw pots much more quickly and easily than learning by trial and error.
This course assumes you already have access to a pottery wheel and know how to make it spin. It also assumes you can outfit your workspace with a water bucket and a basic set of tools including a sponge, a clay cutting wire, a clay needle and a wooden clay knife. If you don’t have these tools you can buy a kit that includes all of these tools for around $12 online or at most craft stores.
If you're ready to learn how to throw a pot on the pottery wheel, this lesson will show you how and give you tips and strategies so you can learn faster and with less effort.
Start watching and throw your first pot today!
Who this course is for:
- If you are brand new to pottery this course will walk you step by step through throwing a pot on the wheel.
- If you have done a little bit fo pottery and are struggling to throw nice pots on the wheel this course will show you a lot of tips and tricks to improve your skills drastically.
- If you are an experienced potter you will find the lessons in this course to be too basic for your needs.
Learning is easier with the right tools and instruction. In every one of my courses I take you step-by-step through the tools and knowledge you need to accomplish your goals.
My talent is taking complex subjects (like Excel, Access and Photoshop) and making them simple to learn. I wasn't always good at technology. There was a time when I didn't even know how to correctly turn a computer on and off. But over the past 20 years I've dedicated myself to mastering technology. Now I'm proud to call myself a self-taught tech geek.
I'm a geek who still speaks the language of normal human beings. I don't use a lot of jargon and fancy words that the average person doesn't understand.
I understand how frustrating it can be when the instructor goes too fast or leaves out critical steps in the learning process. That's why I make sure to clearly demonstrate each step for you visually, so you can follow along starting from the very beginning and going along until you've reached mastery.
I am here to guide you on your way to success. You can contact me at any step of the way for assistance. Let me know when you're struggling with a concept and I'll get right back to you to keep you moving in the right direction.
I'm always happy to help. I believe in you, and I'm here to support you in your learning process.
Are you ready to take your skills to the next level? It all starts with knowledge, and my courses make that part easy.
Sign up for a course today and I'll help you reach the level of success you deserve.
I'll see you in there!