Pottery, Clay & Leaves: Make a Beautiful Unique Leaf Platter
What you'll learn
- How to make a beautiful pottery leaf plate or platter using clay and real leaves in simple constructive steps
- What clay is and how to work most effectively with it, understanding it's different states and types
- How to decide what clay to use, based on the function (use) of the item you are making & the glaze effect you want
- How to choose the best leaves to use and apply healing intention during the creative process
- An overview of decoration techniques and how oxides, underglazes, glazes and lustres are used to colour pottery
- How to hand-build using clay, apply a real leaf impression and finish off the edges to a professional level
- How to apply oxide and glaze to decorate & colour the plate or platter you are making and achieve a beautiful finish
- Access to an electric kiln for one bisque firing to 1020°C and one stoneware firing to 1250/1260°C
- Purchase clay, materials and tools for the project (see list in FREE preview video & supporting resources section)
- Access to a wooden table to work on and a warm room for drying (16-18 degrees centigrade)
- A willingness to forage (collect) leaves in nature to inform your plate or platter
- I advise wearing a dust mask and latex rubber gloves (or equivalent) for the glazing section of the course
- A willingness to get your hands and clothes dirty!
Create Beautiful Pottery With Clay & Leaves!
Have you always wanted to make something you can be really proud of with clay? Maybe you are a complete beginner or have never touched clay, but want to have a go. Or maybe you have good skills in crafting and have completed some pottery classes but want to expand your skills?
Maybe you are curious about why art and craft can bring about peace of mind and a type of meditative state? Pablo Picasso said 'Art washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life' helping us to increase wellness and health.
Would you like to create something in clay that not only looks professional but also gives off the most beautiful healing energies from nature? Not only will YOU benefit from the healing properties of clay and nature, you can harness this in the piece you make, so others who use it can benefit!
This course is different to other pottery classes, it combines my 30+ years of experience in ceramics with my knowledge as a holistic therapist. I will give you simple step by step instructions to make a beautiful, professionally crafted pottery leaf plate or platter. I will be your guide and teacher every step of the way, giving you tips which I gained during my ceramics degree many years ago and my experience as a professional potter.
My pottery has been on national TV in the UK on the 'Great British Menu' and used by Executive Head Chef Niall Keating (winner of the show). I have exhibited and sold my ceramics at Blenheim Palace Flower Show, The Royal Horticultural Show in Malvern (UK) and with Celebrating Ceramics, Craft in Focus. My ceramics inspired by nature has also been on the ITV show with Alan Titchmarsh 'Love Your Weekend' where I discuss the healing properties of working with clay and nature. I have taught both young children, GCSE students and adults.
With this enriched knowledge, I now bring you this course because I want to give YOU the skills to produce beautiful nature inspired pottery.
WHO THIS COURES IS FOR:
You may have never touched clay before, but want to have a go!
You may have had some pottery classes but want to learn a new hand-building skill to add to your portfolio...
You may want to create with your children and have fun foraging leaves to use in the process...
You may want to make something really beautiful and professional as a gift for a loved one...
You may need to start a hobby that will bring you inner calm and reduce anxiety...
You may even want to challenge yourself and see if you can copy the pottery on my website 'ceramics inspired by nature' and make it better than me!
You are in the right place...I would like to share with you all the knowledge and tips I have collated over 30+ years so you can by-pass some of the pitfalls of ceramics and pottery. I will give you the resources so you can copy not just my making techniques but also so you can use the same glaze finish.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
The goal is for you to enjoy creating with clay, to feel calmer as you do so and gain in skills and knowledge. I want you to be really proud of what you create alongside me and learn how to infuse healing energy into your pottery!
1. I will share a list of materials & tools in the preview section of the course so you can purchase them in readiness or to help you decide in advance, if the course is suitable for you. Some of these will be household items saving you money.
2. I will give you an overview of what clay is and it's different states (levels of dryness or chemical transformation), so you can work most effectively.
3. I will explain about the different types of clay and how to match functionality with clay type and glaze finish.
4. I will give an overview about how to use oxides, underglaze, glaze and lustres.
5. I will show you which type of leaves lend themselves best to creating with clay in preparation for your own leaf collection (foraging).
6. I will demonstrate how to knead and prepare your clay to remove air bubbles.
7. I will show you how to roll your clay out using a rolling pin and share tips about how to avoid cracks and warping later on.
8. I will show you how to press your leaf into your clay and cut around the shape in a professional neat way.
9. I will demonstrate how to 'pull' a handle of clay and twist it to create a 'vine' like handle for your platter or plate.
10. I will show you how to mix oxide and apply it to biscuit ware (fired clay).
11. I will demonstrate how to pour glaze over your leaf plate or platter when using small quantities of glaze.
I invite you on a journey of creativity and healing.
I do so hope you join me :-)
Please note: you will need access to an electric kiln which can fire stoneware temperatures (1250-1260 degrees centigrade) in order to complete this project successfully. You may be able to use someone else's kiln for a small charge of money if you don't own your own or approach a local art collage to use their kilns.
PS automated captions have been enabled for this course (so making it more accessible for foreign students), however some words may not translate correctly.
Also, remember if you wish to gain a personal certificate of completion from me you will need to complete 100% of the course, email me at email@example.com a copy or image of your Udemy certificate (which you should receive automatically on the system when you complete 100% of the course) and then I will email you my own Certificate of Completion accredited by the Neya® Academy.
Who this course is for:
- Complete beginners who have always wanted to make something with clay and be proud of it!
- Intermediate potters who may like to see how I hand-build with leaves and take advantage of my useful tips
- Confident potters who want to learn how to copy my specific glazing finish and see if they can do a better job!
- Anyone who has had a few pottery classes and wants to learn a new hand-building technique to add to their portfolio
- Anyone who wants to take up a new hobby for relaxation and to aid calming the mind & reducing anxiety
- Parents who wish to create with their children and combine exploring for leaves in nature
- Everyone who wants to tap in to their creative side, have fun and be really proud of what they make!
Sonya has always had a passion for people, art & nature. She qualified with a BA (Hons) in ceramics after leaving school and then went on to qualify in many valuable tools relating to personality and self development.
She started her journey in personal development and holistic studies over 20 years ago, initially as a 'People Development Consultant' for Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals. In this role, she qualified in Carl Jung's personality model 'Myers Briggs Type Indicator' coaching (MBTI). She used this to help people better understand themselves and work more effectively within teams. She observed powerful results and gained a huge foundation of knowledge during this phase of her life.
Soon after, she blended this expertise with holistic studies, and is currently qualified as a Reiki Master Teacher, Crystal Therapist and Archangel Practitioner. Today she uses all these valuable skills to assist people in their quest for personal transformation and healing.
She acts as both a conduit of healing energy and a catalyst for change, to help people realise their true potential, awaken their innate intuition and ultimately realise their Soul Contracts in life.
In recent years, she has been inspired and guided by world leaders in spirituality, quantum physics and mindfulness, fortunate enough to have travelled to places from as far as Arizona to London, while taking part in inspiring professional development courses. This continues to enrich the knowledge she can offer YOU for your life going forward.
She regularly practices as a holistic consultant from her therapy centre 'Mendip Reiki Healing Arts' in the UK and is also a passionate professional ceramic artist producing nature inspired pottery 'Sonya Ceramic Art'. This creative outlet is Sonya's own personal therapy, allowing her to ground and connect with her innate gifts and the power of the natural elements.
Sonya is a published author, having written 'Gathering Insights' in 2018 which is a fun, insightful book, encouraging people to answer enlightening questions during social gatherings. This idea then lead to her current podcast, also called 'Gathering Insights', which explores insightful learning, to use in our every day lives.
Her mission is to empower others to heal themselves and their lives. To spread loving kindness and to awaken our true innate potential within.