What you'll learn
- This course will provide you with a basic understanding of the Protection of Personal Information (POPI) Act.
- What is POPI?
- Where does POPI come from?
- Who does POPI apply to?
- Why do we have POPI?
- What are the consequences of non-compliance with POPI?
- How to read POPI and apply it?
- There are no prerequisites for this course.
- This is a foundation course which gives the basics.
- The POPI Act is a piece of legislation in South Africa. The course is available to anyone that is interested in learning more about Protection of Personal Information Act.
This course will provide you with a basic understanding on what the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPI) is all about, how it came to being, where it is now, as well as how it is structured. After this, you will know what POPI means for South African citizens. Further courses to come that build on this.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone that is new to the POPI legislation.
- Anyone that would like a high level understanding of what POPI entails.
- Anyone with a desire for getting your company better equipped to deal with the new Regulation.
I am a South African attorney and entrepreneur, with 8 years of experience so far. My experience includes time spent as an attorney in practice touching on various industries; time as an in-house corporate counsel; a Masters Degree in Commercial Law from the University of Johannesburg; and a large portion of time spent working in the Financial Services Industry (a highly regulated industry in SA), which provides my basis for a well-rounded and thorough understanding in various regulatory frameworks and importantly, the practical application of theory to a business’s needs.