Pointers in C: Advanced C /C++ Pointers (Hands-on Guide)
- 9 hours on-demand video
- 10 articles
- 9 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Comprehension of the importance of pointers in the current technologies.
- The concept behind pointers and how to do operations with them.
- Understand how to handle pointers for dynamic memory allocation.
- Management of multidimensional arrays, vectors and lists, expanding the knowledge of pointers.
- Understand Indirection and its functionality.
- Practice with different examples these concepts and functionalities.
- Create and read binary files with the perspective of pointers.
- Identify main issues of pointers to be careful and consider for your program.
- Basic understanding of C Programming. (Variable types, Functions, Loops, output/input of strings, arrays and lists)
In the last decades, the technology has improved to the point, where many tasks rely on the performance of the devices or machines which serve the human. For a big group of applications, the execution speed is the priority, in this cases, main aspects get involved like security or robustness, thus in order to reduce the risk and guarantee faster responses C/C++ as programming language supports in many cases the software of those systems, in fact, one of the powerful tools of it is the use and handling of pointers, which provides mechanisms to optimize the performance of an application.
Examples in the automotive sector and robotics can give us a brief idea of why you need speed in those systems that interact directly with humans, where it requires responses in real-time. Also, there is a quite expanded use of pointers in game development, where it has to assure a real player’s actual experience of the game.
This course focuses on understanding the different functionalities of pointers with conceptual and practical examples, teaching you to perceive what happens internally in memory when we apply different functionalities of pointers. If you want more than a superficial look at handling pointers, this course is for you.
PREREQUISITES / KNOWLEDGE YOU ARE ASSUMED TO HAVE:
· Basic understanding of C Programming. (Variable types, Functions, Loops, output/input of strings, arrays, and lists)
· Object-oriented programming
TIPS (for getting through the course):
· Write down some definitions, if you need to.
· Write code yourself, don't just sit there and look at my code.
· Try to explore each topic by yourself doing variations to the examples.
· Rely on web documentation of C/C++ for functions or details which are unclear for you, right after you’ve seen it, thus you avoid accumulating doubts.
WHAT ORDER SHOULD I TAKE YOUR COURSES IN?:
· Try to follow the usual order of each section, since the level of the exercises increases progressively.
Who this course is for:
· Understand the different functionalities of pointers and memory management in C/C++ programming language.
· Students studying basic programming or object-oriented programming with basic knowledge of C/C++.
· Professionals who want to apply pointers to optimize some programs or applications of the certain systems.
· Entrepreneurs who want to apply pointers to optimize some programs or applications of the certain systems.
· Students in computer science who want to learn more about pointers and memory management.
- Students in computer science who want to learn more about pointers and memory management.
- Students studying basic programming or object-oriented programming with basic knowledge of C/C++.
- Professionals who want to apply pointers to optimize some program or application of certain system.
- Entrepreneurs who want to apply pointers to optimize some program or application of certain system.
- Who wants to understand the different functionalities of pointers and memory management in C/C++ programming language.
Sometimes is difficult to imagine dimension higher dimensions than our 3D physical space where we live, so in this lecture, we further with the use of pointers for multidimensional arrays by simplifying the understanding of them.
Before beginning to allocate memory dynamically, we’re going to see more in detail how the application memory works by learning more about the segments in which the memory of your application is distributed, as well as different important concepts and aspects to consider.
Furthering with the syntax of function pointers by understanding its functionalit through a practical exercise.
From a pointers perspective, it's explained here how to write and read binary files between the application memory and the secondary storage of the machine, as well as important details to consider by creating binary files to improve this task according to the objects to be saved by doing some practical exercises handling a structure.