What you'll learn
- You'll be introduced to Spanish literature by reading excerpts from a classic novel in Spanish written for kids.
- You will learn a good amount of new vocabulary in Spanish.
- You will get to know Platero and Juan Ramón and enjoy the story of this loving donkey and his owner and how this story reflects on the simple joys of life.
- You will comprehend a complete story in the Spanish language.
- You will test your comprehension by answering questions at the end of each video.
- You will need access to a computer, laptop, or smart device with internet and video/audio capabilities.
- It is recommended to have at least three years of Spanish language background so you can follow along the story.
- You will need to know English since the story is read in Spanish but the explanation of it is in English. Vocabulary is also translated from Spanish to English.
- You will need to be patient with yourself, there is plenty of vocabulary that is probably new for you, read through the vocabulary resources and watch the videos and enjoy the story.
- Purchasing the book that goes along with this course is highly recommended if you want to get the whole experience.
- Make sure to purchase the kid's version: Platero y yo de Juan Ramón Jiménez contado a los niños por Rosa Navarro Durán. You can find the paperback version in bookstores or online.
In this self-paced intensive Spanish Reading Comprehension course, you will read through a classic novel in Spanish literature. This course focuses on the children's version of the classic novel of Juan Ramón Jiménez - "Platero y yo". It is a prose poem about the writer and his donkey. Through this work of literature the author reflects on the simple joys of life, cherished memories, and friendship. This specific version has been written for kids. I chose it because it is easier to understand and students are still introduced to a wide range of vocabulary and poetics. Students will build confidence by reading Spanish literature, comprehending the story, and learning new vocabulary. By watching the videos provided, followed by quizzes, and vocabulary this course will prepare the student to familiarize himself or herself with Spanish literature.
The course consists of 6 sections. Each section includes 10 subsections which correspond to each chapter of the book. It is highly recommended that you purchase the book that goes along with this story so that you get the complete experience of what the story is about. You can find the book online in any major store where books are sold. Each subsection includes a video, a vocabulary sheet, and a quiz. Each video includes a brief summary in English of what the chapter is about. It also includes beautiful pictures that correspond to the story and aide in the understanding of the story. In addition to the pictures I include excerpts taken from the book that are read in Spanish and are then translated in English. Each chapter has a vocabulary sheet that includes a few words from the chapter and its English translation. You will see a few words repeated in each chapter and this is to help reinforce the vocabulary. Each chapter has a small quiz of 1 to 4 questions. This is to test your understanding of each chapter.
The book is very pleasant to read. Each chapter is about a maximum of 5 pages and most of the pages have pictures. This course can be easily finished in 6 weeks or less.
Who this course is for:
- This course is recommended for anyone who has taken at least two years of Spanish.
- This course is for anyone looking for an introduction to the classics in Spanish.
- Excellent preparation for those thinking of taking AP Spanish and reading the original classic novel Platero y yo
¡Hola! I am a native Spanish-speaker originally from Peru. I am a Certified Professional Educator certified in Spanish K-12; I teach Spanish and English as a second language; and am also a Health and Wellness Coach and Home Education Evaluator and Consultant. I love to travel and enjoy meeting people from different nationalities and learning about different cultures, and appreciate the benefit of being able to communicate in different languages.