How to teach online courses - a practical guide from a pro
What you'll learn
- A solid foundation in great online course design skills, and a way to really engage with your students
- Gain the skills to identify good online course ideas that you are passionate about and are marketable
- You will better understand the mindset and motivations of your future students, and teach directly to those
- Solid practical direction and examples on mapping out your sections and lessons
- Make informed decisions on whether to go with head and shoulders direct to camera video, slideshows, screencasts, or something else completely
- Confidence in knowing what to actually say in a lesson
- Evaluate and reflect on course design and teaching approach
- Handle both positive and negative feedback from students
- A whole load of motivation, taught by an instructor who loves the job and wants to see you do well!
- An interest in teaching online, and the passion to want to do it well :)
This course will give you the skills you need to teach online courses with confidence, even if you don't have a background in teaching.
Have you seen courses on Udemy, Skillshare and YouTube and thought, "hey, I could make a course about that!"... but then didn't follow through because you weren't sure of exactly how to approach the full learning design or structure or weren't sure about what sort of equipment you'd need?
Or perhaps you've seen all those "passive income" blurbs and suspected that there's probably a bit more to it than just shouting your general knowledge into a microphone?
Why choose this course over any of the others?
The other top "teach on Udemy" courses are wonderful, and I have incredible respect for their instructors. This course stands out from the others through a much greater focus and detail on those starting steps for thinking of your ideas, connecting with your passions, and helping you understand how to best connect with your future students.
If you're considering taking multiple courses to best understand how to make online courses to sell through Udemy, then I suggest pairing this course with one of the others that focuses on marketing - that way you'll get a great educational approach for making a fantastic course here with these methods, and then follow with solid processes for marketing and launching your course with one of the others.
"Ricky takes a step-by-step approach to explaining how to plan and structure a course; how to design a course for maximum student engagement; and how to foster a good rapport with students throughout the course." - Autumn Gal ★★★★★
"Ricky showed me ... how to structure my course and how to make my courses engaging and interesting for all who will be watching." - Zoe Martin ★★★★★
- What to teach that connects with your passions and expertise
- How to test if there's a market for your course idea
- How to develop a teaching approach
- How to develop a detailed course plan
- Various ways to present lessons so that your students engage more
- What to actually say in a lesson to improve your students' understanding
- Essential production tips
- Methods to evaluate your course
- How to use student feedback to improve your course
Every lesson in this course has a practical skill that you can learn to develop your own course plan and teaching approach. You can get started pretty quickly and work on your own courses progressively while learning here.
So, if you'd like to teach online then take this course now, and I'll see you inside!
Who this course is for:
- People looking to teach online but don't have confidence in their approach yet
- Anybody wanting to teach -properly- and not simply talk into a microphone
- This course is for people who want to learn good course design skills from an educational perspective, and not just learn about new tools and sites to store ideas
Hello :) My name is Ricky, and I run a creative and educational technology studio in Australia.
I have been working professionally in online learning design and digital media production for just over 16 years, for small businesses, the Federal Government, museums, and one of the world's top 20 universities. I have also led education and media production teams, and have mentored many early career designers and online learning developers.
I have been teaching these skills to others for years, and am proud to have the chance to teach and work with you through Udemy.
My courses here are aimed at normal people who want to do awesome things. I present them with expert knowledge and experience, and in a very understated and casual professional way that respects you as a real person and learner, rather than shouting lectures at you or waffling on and on.
Hope to see you in one of my courses some time soon :)