Fun with Photos: Photobashing and Photo Manipulation (2021)
What you'll learn
- Learn to make art and illustration with photos.
- Pick up enhanced photo editing techniques.
- Gain tips and tricks in GIMP software.
- Make realistic and beautiful art for all purposes.
- You will need a laptop or desktop computer
- A modern Operating System such as Windows, Apple OSX, or Linux
- You should be relatively comfortable with your illustration software such as Photoshop, Corel, GIMP, etc.
- A drawing tablet is highly recommended but not required to follow the course
Photo Manipulation (or Photobashing) is an art form which enables us to take existing photos or images and collage them together to make beautiful new imagery. Today this practice is regularly used to make professional art, illustration and design.
This course will walk you through the best practices for creating realistic and eye catching images using the free and open source software GIMP. The course's focus is not to teach you the software, but to give you the best artistic practices to making more realistic and beautiful images through Photo Manipulation. Better usage of GIMP can also be learned along the way, and you can follow along with your preferred software.
We will cover how to use your eye to select the best images, manipulated images to work together in the scene better, and overall composition practices. We will also cover lighting and shading techniques, adding depth to the scene, drawing onto the image, and many tips and tricks along the way to improve the overall balance and beauty of your art.
The course is broken down into short and easy to follow demonstration lessons with entertaining and informational dialogue. The instructor will be available to answer any questions you have, and as time allows there will be addition supplementary announcements regarding the topic of Photo Manipulation.
Who this course is for:
- Beginner artists and illustrators who want to use photos to make art
- Anyone who is curious about digital illustration and how we use the software
- Photographers who want to pick up tips for bashing their photos
Brendon Schumacker is an accomplished artist and illustrator with experience in many art forms. Having drawn since a young age, Brendon has a lifetime of educational background in freehand art from various schools in USA and has studied along side with artists of varied backgrounds, giving him a diverse understanding of many illustration styles and techniques. He has published comics and children's books, has done multiple gallery openings, and has been doing freelance illustration and design for over 10 years. His instruction style is casual and entertaining while also being detailed in his examination of varied art techniques.