Practical Pharmaceutical Supply Management: LMIC Focus
What you'll learn
- Understand the pharmaceutical industry
- Pharmaceutical and healthcare needs in low and middle income countries
- Detailled insight in all steps of the supply cycle (e.g. Specification, Quantification, Procurement, Storage, Use)
- How to forecast/quantify medicines and health products
- Warehousing and distribution logistics
- Rational use of medicines
- Although it will be helpful, you do not need to have a pharmaceutical or medical background to understand and benefit from this course. Whether your field of expertise is in (public) health, nursing, laboratory, logistics, finance or general management, you will see that the topics are presented in such a way that you will easily pick up the concepts and able to apply them in your own daily practice.
I'm Ron Wehrens, a pharmacist from The Netherlands. My professional journey spans more than three decades, during which I've been deeply involved in the world of pharmaceutical and medical supply management. What makes my experience unique is a focused commitment: I've dedicated myself exclusively to enhancing pharmaceutical supply for the public sector and humanitarian projects in low and middle-income countries.
My expertise has been honed through the challenges faced by developing nations. Across > 40 countries (Mostly in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe), I've undertaken > 190 consultancy missions that have given me a direct understanding of the fundamental barriers many encounter: limited resources, lack of reliable data, the pressing need for proper staff training and motivation, and the complex requirements imposed by donors.
My path has been hands-on. Imagine me running a pharmaceutical warehouse in Uganda, setting up antiretroviral reporting and replenishing systems in Vietnam, conducting tailored trainings on managing HIV or Tuberculosis supplies in remote corners like Mongolia and Tajikistan.
My journey extends beyond the field; it includes procurement auditing (which often revealed significant instances of fraud and corruption). Beyond that, I've operated at higher strategic levels, consulting for the World Health Organization (WHO) and international humanitarian organizations. I've also served as an advisor to national ministries of Health, contributing to the entire process from planning and budgeting to the delivery of medical supplies.
So, why share this with you? Because my journey, my experiences—they're the bedrock of this course. Together, we'll explore these experiences, drawing from real-world involvement. As we delve into the course material, know that you're benefiting from insights shaped by extensive experience—insights designed to empower you on your journey.
At the heart of this course is a practical approach to supply management. Think of it as a roadmap, where product availability, calculated quantities, thoughtful budgets, transparent procurement, and vigilant storage and distribution are key. This framework is what we'll build together.
This course is not only valuable for professionals in middle and low-income countries. The concepts and principles we'll delve into have a universal essence. They are relevant to those in high-income countries seeking to improve supply management strategies or even individuals dealing with non-pharmaceutical supply management. After all, the core principles often remain remarkably similar across different contexts.
My dedication is to empower all who aspire to make a difference. Many of you deserve to attend comprehensive international logistics courses, but constraints such as time and finances often make that difficult. This is where this concise yet impactful 4-hour Udemy course comes in. It serves as a bridge, offering swift and effective retraining, igniting motivation, and enabling those eager to drive positive change in various aspects of pharmaceutical supply.
While my in-person trainings at esteemed public health institutions and international workshops have yielded significant transformations, they only reach a fraction of the knowledge-hungry individuals out there. Udemy, on the other hand, provides an accessible platform that opens the door wider. It's a means to make education reachable and generate a meaningful impact on a broader scale.
Our mission is clear: to enhance access to essential medicines and make a tangible difference in real lives.
Your journey starts here,
Who this course is for:
- Anyone interested in improving access to medicines and health products in low and middle income countries
Experienced Pharmacist | Pharmaceutical Procurement Specialist | Global Healthcare Consultant
My career is all about improving pharmaceutical supply in the public and humanitarian sectors in Low and Middle Income Countries.
During my 30-years in pharmaceutical procurement and supply consultancy, I've worked for organizations such as WHO, GDF, UNOPS, UNFPA, the Global Fund, PwC, and national Ministries of Health.
International Impact: With over 190 successful international consultancies, my expertise spans a wide range of areas:
- Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment, Forecasting, and Quantification
- Strategic Procurement of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Supplies
- Development of Robust Pharmaceutical QA/QC Systems
- Specialized in HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, and Vaccine Supply Management
- Warehouse Optimization, Inventory Control, and Distribution Logistics
- Performance Monitoring and Evaluation
- Pharmaceutical Procurement Auditing
- Training and Coaching
Global Reach: My professional experience has taken me across continents, enriching my understanding of diverse healthcare landscapes:
- Africa: Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zanzibar, Zimbabwe
- Asia: Cambodia, Fiji, India, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor Leste, Uzbekistan, Vietnam
- Europe: Albania, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Kosovo, Moldova, The Netherlands, Romania, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom
- Middle East: Oman, UAE
Passionate Educator: Now, I'm excited to share my knowledge with you through Udemy. Whether you're a healthcare professional, aspiring consultant, or simply curious about the intricacies of global pharmaceutical supply chains, my courses offer an affordable opportunity to learn from real-world experiences.
Join Me: Embark on this learning journey with me and gain insights that bridge theory and practice. Together, let's shape a brighter future for healthcare accessibility worldwide!