Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment: Real Case Study
What you'll learn
- Conduct environmental assessments of commercial properties.
- Identify regulatory suspects from database search results.
- Create historical timelines of property development and past usages
- Analyze aerial photographs to detect past landscape changes.
- Incorporate fire insurance maps and city directories to uncover suspected activities.
- Carry out site visit to make observations of property conditions.
- Make determinations of recognized environmental conditions based on topographic gradient and relative distance.
- Students don't need any prior knowledge or experience. This course is designed to get you started from the conceptual knowledge to practical case study. All you need is a desire to learn.
Are you passionate about our environments? Do you want a career that makes a difference in protecting our Earth from the impacts of global warming and climate change? If you have thought about one of those questions, then this course is for you!
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the environmental profession is one of the fastest growing job markets with the expected growth of more than 10,000 job openings over the next decade in the U.S. alone. Within the industry, Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment (or ESA) is the most common environmental consulting service for commercial real estate due diligence because it helps potential purchasers identify environmental risks associated with properties, assists them in making informed decisions during acquisition and development, and protect them from potential future liabilities.
In this course, you will learn fundamental principles of Phase 1 ESA made simple and fun through intuitive concepts and engaging visuals. This course is designed to help you grasp the industry standard of Phase 1 ESA with no prior knowledge or skills needed. You won't see many jargons or long paragraphs. Instead, you will learn the key takeaways in step-by-step guidance to truly understand the practical essentials of Phase 1 ESA.
The course will prepare you with the strong foundation to jumpstart your career in environmental consulting which is driven by our society's ever increasing environmental awareness as well as the passages and implementations of environmental laws and regulations. As a result, you will finish this course feeling like you have completed a mini-internship and attain the knowledge and skills to successfully conduct a Phase 1 ESA.
Upon completion of this course, you will know how to:
Acquire environmental information and data for the Phase 1 ESA.
Determine topographic gradient by reading topographic map.
Review regulatory database search results to identify regulatory suspects.
Analyze aerial images to detect historical changes in urban landscapes.
Examine fire insurance maps to discover past activities.
Search for city directories to find identities of properties.
Create a coherent historical timeline by integrating various historical sources and extract useful information to identify historical suspects.
Conduct site visit and evaluate site observations to ascertain the current condition of property.
Establish the outcomes of Phase 1 ESA with appropriate recommendations and final report.
It's best to follow this course sequentially because the knowledge of a lesson is built upon the previous one. While learning, you can ask questions for further clarifications. In addition, Google Earth will be used as a relevant learning tool in this course.
Feel free to preview some of the free guide videos before enrolling. I can't wait to meet you inside the course and see you succeed!
DISCLAIMER: This course is designed for informational and educational purposes only. It is NOT intended to provide any professional licenses or replace direct training and consulting services from an experienced environmental professional.
Who this course is for:
- College students who have an interest and want a head-start in environmental consulting field.
- Entry-level professionals who want to jumpstart their career by diving deep in the process.
- Stakeholders of the commercial property market including purchasers, developers, owners, and lenders.
- Anyone who has a desire to pivot their career and professional experience.
Bach Pham is a geoscientist by training and an online educational content creator. He had spent 3+ years providing environmental consulting services for the commercial real estate due diligence market. Today, he has pivoted his career to data science & analytics and also helps others by teaching an online course on Udemy.