The pfSense Fundamentals Bootcamp 2023 Edition
What you'll learn
- Operating a pfSense firewall with confidence by understanding all of the fundamental functions
- How to install pfSense on VirtualBox and how to set up a pfSense lab
- How to install pfSense on any physical (hardware) appliance from scratch
- Configuring the pfSense DHCP server
- Configuring pfSense DNS and changing DNS servers
- Everything you need to know about firewall rules
- Managing and backing up pfSense configuration files (including backup history!)
- How to troubleshoot pfSense (restarting services, connecting with SSH, rebooting)
- How to create new users
- Creating widgets for your dashboard
- How to install and configure OpenVPN from scratch
- Installing and configuring Squid Proxy and ClamAV
- How VLans work and how to set up VLans on pfSense
- A willingness to get your hands dirty and follow along!
- Basic understanding of networks is helpful but not neccesary
- A 8GB USB drive & a computer with USB port for the physical appliance part
- A computer with at least 8GB of RAM for the VirtualBox part (if you want to follow along)
- In some cases: A NULL-Modem cable for the physical appliance part (depending on the appliance!)
- Good coffee and a couple of hours time :-)
Hello, and welcome to the course I wish I had when I started out with pfSense.
My name is Stefan, and I am an officially certified pfSense professional. I had the pleasure of learning what I know directly from Jim Thompson (the CTO and a Core Team Member of Netgate/pfSense).
After finishing this course, you will know everything you need to operate all the basic functions of a pfSense firewall with confidence. You will also learn how to navigate through your firewall with ease. You can use this knowledge if you want to implement a pfSense firewall into your home network, but you will also be able to integrate and operate a pfSense firewall in a business environment. This is a hands-on course - you are encouraged to follow through with all of the steps as I do them on your firewall.
Please note that you don't need a physical appliance to follow along with this course. A computer with 8GB of RAM is enough to run a virtual machine with pfSense (covered in the course).
Since integrating pfSense into my home network many years ago, I immediately fell in love with it. Back then, there were hardly any guides or tutorials for pfSense - so I decided to create my own - which has helped to turn my YouTube channel and my blog into one of the most popular resources for pfSense on the internet.
I have also worked with pfSense professionally in a startup for several years, where I built a complete hybrid-cloud setup using multiple pfSense firewalls - so I have seen both worlds.
This is the only Udemy course taught by an officially certified pfSense professional.
Because of my experience with the community of my blog and my YouTube channel, I know what people struggle with most, and I pay extra attention to those topics.
I leave nothing out - I don't assume you have any prior knowledge.
Everything is up-to-date - this course was made with pfSense 2.5 and is fully compatible with pfSense 2.6.
This course will always stay up-to-date. If anything changes, I update the course accordingly
In the end, I also tried to make this course fun. I am not a fan of "dry" content, so I'm throwing a lame dad joke in here and there to loosen things up and keep you motivated.
2023 Update: This course has been updated to use the latest version of VirtualBox (7.X)
Who this course is for:
- Everyone who wants to better secure their home network
- Administrators who want to secure their business with cutting-edge firewall technology on the cheap
- Everyone who wants to learn about firewalls and how they work in general
- Aspiring students looking for a career in networking & security
- Cyber Security professionals looking to secure their network and educate themselves on the topic of firewalls
- Everyone curious to learn more about firewalls and networks
my name is Stefan and I am a full-time Content Creator. I produce educational content revolving around Programming, Web Development, Cyber Security, and Linux, for over 8 years now.
I am also an officially pfSense Certified Instructor. I have been working with pfSense both, in my own business as well as in my company for several years.
In my time away from the computer I like to play games, teach Yoga, and spend a lot of time with my Family.
I love teaching people new stuff and I try to make complicated things easy, as the slogan of my website and YouTube channel proclaims.
Here at Udemy, I create the courses I wish to watch myself. Delivering high-quality content is my main priority.
Thank you for checking out my profile, I hope you find a course that interests you!