Performance Tuning SQL Server On RDS
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course you will have a systematic process approach and all the necessary tools needed to begin your journey as a SQL Server performance tuner.
- In this course we will define our performance tuning objectives before we dive head first into tuning. What is our end goal?
- You will need to have SQL Server 2012 or 2014 installed. It can be an express version.
- You'll need an active AWS account and understand the basics of AWS and RDS.
- If you're not familiar with SQL Server fundamentals then this course may not be for you. I do appreciate and understand your enthusiasm and promise this course will be here when you're ready.
This course focuses on making SQL Servers on RDS more performant.
RDS is an acronym that stands for Relational Database Service. It's part of Amazon's CLOUD offering called AWS, another acronym which stand for Amazon Web Services.
Performance tuning can be difficult enough with an on premise SQL Server. RDS complicates things further be adding another level of complexity. That complexity is that almost all of our server level permissions and access have been removed.
In this course WE will overcome these limitations by tailoring OUR performance tuning approach specifically to RDS. Our SOLE focus in this course will be strictly on RDS.
SQL Server is like a high performance sports car. Anyone can drive it but put it in the hands of a skilled performance tuner and you've just gone from average to incredible.
This course will give YOU the foundation to become a skilled PERFORMANCE TUNER on RDS. The cloud has some nuances but SQL Server still relies on CPU, Memory and IO and that means WE will simply have to alter our methodology slightly.
Once thought of as an art, performance tuning is nothing more than a series of processes that seek to accomplish TWO basic goals.
The FIRST one is to reduce the response time for a given transaction or set of transactions.
The SECOND one is reduce resource consumption. On the surface this sounds simple but nothing could be further from the truth.
This course WILL provide YOU with the foundation necessary to ensure data can be saved and retrieved so YOUR RDS databases will have an organic flow of transactions.
ENROLL now. Let's get started!!!
Who this course is for:
- This is a more advanced course. The student should have a solid foundation in SQL Server and AWS
- This course is not a beginner’s course. Most of the students will be junior to mid-level SQL Server resources.
- The student should have SQL Server installed locally and have an active AWS account.
I'm the founder of LogikBot. I've worked at Microsoft and Uber. I helped design courses for Microsoft's Data Science Certifications. If you're interested in machine learning, I can help.
I've worked with databases for over two decades. I've worked for or consulted with over 50 different companies as a full time employee or consultant. Fortune 500 as well as several small to mid-size companies. Some include: Georgia Pacific, SunTrust, Reed Construction Data, Building Systems Design, NetCertainty, The Home Shopping Network, SwingVote, Atlanta Gas and Light and Northrup Grumman.
Over the last five years I've transitioned to the exciting world of applied machine learning. I'm excited to show you what I've learned and help you move into one of the single most important fields in this space.
Experience, education and passion
I learn something almost every day. I work with insanely smart people. I'm a voracious learner of all things SQL Server and I'm passionate about sharing what I've learned. My area of concentration is performance tuning. SQL Server is like an exotic sports car, it will run just fine in anyone's hands but put it in the hands of skilled tuner and it will perform like a race car.
Certifications are like college degrees, they are a great starting points to begin learning. I'm a Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA), Microsoft Certified System Engineer (MCSE) and Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT).
Born in Ohio, raised and educated in Pennsylvania, I currently reside in Atlanta with my wife and two children.