Perforce (Helix Core): A Full Step By Step Guide - Hands On!
What you'll learn
- How to setup a free Perforce server on any OS
- Connecting to an existing server
- Add, check out, delete, rename, and obliterate files
- Manage changelists, and merge conflicts
- Branching, rollbacks, and general SCM organization
- Conveniently diff any files across any versions
- Any computer (Win, Mac, Linux)
- Ability to download & install software
- Basic networking familiarity (IP Address & Port) helps but not mandatory
Perforce has been my favorite versioning & source control management tool for 10+ years. I've used SVN, CVS, TFS, Git, and others but Perforce has always been my go-to. In my 15 years of working as a professional graphics/engine programmer I have used Perforce at game studios, Lockheed Martin, Full Sail University, Disney, and even at home with my hobby projects.
This course will guide you through the important differences of Perforce compared to other tools, get you up and running with your own server (optional), and quickly get you using the visual client (P4V) like a pro! We'll cover common operations such as check-out, check-in, merging, labeling, and branching. You'll get hands on demonstrations for everything and we'll even cover the admin and command line tools in case you want to set up and use your own server for the free small-team license that Perforce offers.
Who this course is for:
- Any developer, programmer, artist, or designer interested in great source control
- IT Pros or Network Admins looking for a powerful versioning/backup solution
- Freelance developers looking for a free, easy, and private means of setting up source control
I have been blessed with over 15 years of creative real time software development experience. The companies I've helped range from indie game studios shipping titles on mobile, consoles, and PC, all the way up to industry giants such as Lockheed Martin with their multi-million dollar simulators and even Disney's Emerging Technologies R&D team developing new magical experiences. I also had the honor of being a Full Sail University Course Director which is also where I graduated from with a degree in Game Design & Development.
Outside of my full time job I've had a never ending urge to learn and create and I have channeled that into developing my own cross platform game engine which was used to publish a variety of games/apps. I have also done a fair amount of design work creating logos and game assets. My most recent pursuits have been various inventions which I have modeled and 3D printed all from home creating full scale usable prototypes.
I believe hands on learning provides quicker comprehension and immediate experience. I've always had to spend the extra time to dig deeper and tear things apart to truly understand them and I hope to provide that in my courses in as streamlined an experience as I can. We'll avoid boring trivia and get straight to the practical/fun parts so you can get back to chasing your imagination.
Let's make awesome stuff together!