- 4.5 hours on-demand video
- 26 articles
- 1 downloadable resource
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the background surrounding this wonderful but small letter of the Apostle Paul to the Colossians.
- Describe the exalted picture of Jesus Christ as the Apostle Paul describes in this epistle.
- Recognize the beauty of the poetic phrases found in this epistle.
- Embrace the manner of life to which believers in Christ should pursue.
- Develop a broader understanding of what it means to be a King Jesus follower in a countercultural way.
- See how certain controversies are handled by the Apostle Paul.
- This course only requires a desire to learn about the New Testament.
- The student is encouraged to have a recent translation of the Bible available.
Colossians presents a picture of Christ who is "the firstborn over all creation" and has disarmed and triumphed over the powers and authorities. The letter also appeals to its readers to seek humble maturity, a maturity not possible apart from the person and work of Jesus Christ. Prof. Wright goes through this small but powerful letter to highlight the supremacy of Christ and then further describe how to live in the light of this glorious truth.
The course features exegetical observations by Prof. Wright that will illuminate the truths sometimes hidden by translation from Greek into English. Although Prof. Wright refers to the Kingdom New Testament translation of this epistle, the explanations are based on Prof. Wright's knowledge of Greek and Hebrew. In addition, the student will enjoy being introduced to some of the cultural distinctions made within the 1st Century Greco-Roman world. This allows us to make application of the principles contained in this epistle to the 21st Century context in which we live.
- Students who are eager to understand one of the most powerful, yet relatively small, letters of the Apostle Paul.
- Students who desire to understand the nature of who Jesus Christ is as described by the Apostle Paul.
- Students who want to grasp the essence of the theology of the Apostle Paul.
Dr. David Seemuth gives a brief introduction to the course and to Prof. N.T. Wright.