Pathfinding in Unity
- 4.5 hours on-demand video
- 3 articles
- 30 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Understand the fundamentals of graph search algorithms
- Implement your own basic version of A*
Before you begin this course, please review the prerequisites. This course is intended for Intermediate Unity developers with experience in C# scripting.
Let's review the basics of pathfinding. Graphs are a set of interconnected nodes, which are joined by edges. We will apply this data structure to a physical map, allowing us to solve for a path through a maze.
If using a text editor to create your level map is too cumbersome, let's use our favorite image editor to create a level! Using a one-pixel brush we can save our maze in a super small image file. This is a super interactive way to create new levels!
- Unity 3D version 2017 or above (personal FREE edition)
- Mac or PC
- OPTIONAL Photoshop or image-editing program to customize level data
This course is designed for intermediate users of Unity (see the Prerequisites for specific topics you should be familiar with before joining).
Though Unity comes pre-packaged with an excellent pathfinding system, we explore beyond using a black box to calculate paths through your game levels.
Pathfinding and search algorithms are a core component of game development. If you want to level up your skills, enroll today and dive into implementing your own version of A* search!
Through a carefully crafted set of lectures we learn search algorithms, starting with Breadth-First Search, diving in Dijkstra's algorithm and culminating with the industry-standard A* search for pathfinding.
All concepts are presented with easy-to-understand visuals!
Some other bonus features of those course:
- learn to use text files or texture maps to drive level data in Unity
- learn how to implement a priority queue (binary heap) in C#
- learn to structure a small project using the MVC(Model View Controller) design pattern
- intermediate Unity developers with good working knowledge of C#
- anyone who wants to implement graph search algorithms in Unity