Passive Solar Design Series - Passive Design Principles
- 1 hour on-demand video
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Recognize the impact of climate on design
- Refresh fundamentals of building heat transfer
- Understand the design process to minimize cooling/heating demand
- List the different passive design principles
- Do you find the word 'environment friendly buildings' intriguing? Then this course will cover the fundamentals of designing such buildings
- If you are an architect with keen interest in green building design, this course is just for you !
- You want to enhance your knowledge on green buildings, but will not be designing anything yourself, then this course will surely enhance your knowledge
- You want to design a environment friendly home for yourself ? Then you can learn the fundamentals and have a better informed discussion with your architect
Building consume energy all through its lifecycle - right from construction, operation and demolition during end-of-life. There is substantial evidence that buildings that are designed in consideration to the climate and local context tend to consume less energy compared to conventional buildings. Climate responsive design is really the way forward to reduce the energy demand in a sustainable way. This approach will eventually reduce the use of fossil fuels and associated greenhouse gas emissions.
Passive design principles are inherent to climate responsive design. It includes using appropriate form, orientation, materials, daylight and natural breeze as per the climate, so the cooling demand is sharply reduced. In such buildings, the size of the mechanical cooling system is considerably smaller resulting in low energy consumption. A building can use the most efficient space conditioning system, but if its size is not reduced in the first place, then the environmental benefit it provides is limited. This biggest benefit of a solar passive building is the reduced dependency on mechanical systems.
This course is a part of series called - Passive Solar Design Series that consist of the following courses
1) Understanding Sun
2) Shadow mask
3) Shading Design
4) Kinetic facades
5) Passive design principles
6) Passive cooling techniques
You can take all the courses sequentially to gain an all-round understanding of climate responsive design.
This is the 5th course in these series that covers all the passive design principles that are best integrated during early design development stage. The strategies should be implemented in a three step sequential process that will help result in a building which is sustainable. An overview of building physics is also given in the course to further clarify the concepts.
- Anyone who wants to learn about environment friendly/ climate responsive/ green buildings and sustainability
- You do not need to be a professional..this is a beginner course that is aimed at demystifying the topic