What you'll learn
- Practice writing your own paragraph following step-by-step guidance (feedback available but optional on assignments)
- See writing as a process and use this knowledge to dramatically improve your written work
- Use pre-writing skills such as brainstorming, research, and creating plans
- Write excellent topic sentences that help you the writer and the reader as well!
- Learn about Unity and how using it can help make your paragraphs much stronger and more effective
- Recognize the importance of Coherence and how to use it in your writing
- Learn various systems of organization - chronological, physical, order of importance
- Improve your supporting sentences using methods of development
- Use transitions words and signposts linking grammatical structures but also ideas
- Write concluding sentences that truly conclude and wrap up the content appropriately
- Identify and use different types of paragraph including exposition, narration, description, persuasion
- Learn about the importance of proofreading & editing
- Proofread your own work
- You will need an adequate understanding of the English language and basic writing skills
- You will benefit more if you do the quizzes and assignments - although all are optional
* New November 2022 - Descriptive Writing
Many Bonus videos with new ones added occasionally!
If you want to improve the quality of your writing and do better on written assignments, then this is the course for you.
Paragraphs are the foundation of all academic writing. Writing stand-alone paragraphs such as persuasive or argument paragraphs are standard assignments for many students at any level.
Quality paragraphs are essential for essays, book reports, speeches, and other longer writing assignments.
This course takes you step-by-step through techniques that teach you to write with confidence.
Learn these building blocks and then put them into practice to see all the difference.
Your grades will automatically improve as your writing skills become stronger. In fact, knowing how to write well will increase your ability to reason and fully comprehend other authors' texts and material as well!
Each short lesson in this course will take you one step closer to being a better writer.
Before you know it, you will be using excellent skills automatically.
There are quizzes and assignments to help you build yours skills more effectively. The video lessons take about 90 minutes to complete, but you should allow time to complete the quizzes and assignments. The paragraph writing assignment which is done in stages will add another couple of hours for most students to do properly.
There is even the option of personal feedback while writing your own paragraph throughout the course.
Who this course is for:
- Students and writers who wish to improve the impact of their writing and/or gain higher grades will benefit the most
- Upper grade school, secondary school, or College / University students would benefit from the lessons learned in this course
- The course focuses on academic paragraphs that one would use for single paragraph assignments or paragraphs within essays, book reports, and speeches.
- Although there is some benefit for all writers, this course does not focus on creative or story writing which would contain many different kinds of paragraphs
I have owned and operated L.T.L. Tutoring Central since 1996, providing private tutoring services to students of all ages and skill levels.
My online courses have received many compliments and positive testimonials as well.
I have presented video lessons for various organizations and groups and taught individual lessons to students from around the world - often setting up programs specific to their needs.
Also, I created and delivered an ESL/EFL program for scientists and technicians at the Guelph division of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada.
My primary focus is on English, math, and study skills- helping students learn how to learn.
I am an Honours Bachelor of Arts graduate with distinction from the University of Guelph in English/psychology - completing 62 courses, many in the field of education including philosophy of education and psychology of education.