Paragraph Writing Simplified - Level One - Beginner's Guide!
What you'll learn
- Understand how to join three key ingredients in a paragraph to produce a clear and complete message.
- Know the two simple steps needed to write an effective Introductory Sentence to start your paragraph easily and focus your reader's attention.
- Follow the Paragraph Guideline Template provided in this course to quickly and easily construct effective paragraphs.
- Learn how to write Support Sentences that Unify and Logically Order your message to help your reader fully understand what you want to say!
- Learn the three basic steps needed to write an effective Title or Subject Line that will catch your reader's attention.
- Master two key steps needed to write an effective Concluding Sentence to end your paragraph and help your reader remember and respond to your message.
- Achieve your own Certificate of Completion to enhance your resume!
- Download the Tutorial Review Guide available in print available for each section.
- Be able to write everyday familiar words in English.
- Be able to construct basic sentences.
- Students will need either a computer, tablet, mobile device, or pen and paper to complete paragraph writing exercises and assignments.
"There are so many resources for improving writing. But the way of teaching Mike contains, you won't find anywhere else. Definitely recommended to anyone who wants to improve or learn English writing... Desperately waiting for level two and Mike's other courses."
Abdul R - Udemy Student
Many people have not had the opportunity to develop their ability to combine sentences together to create meaningful paragraphs.
Effective paragraph writing skills help writers truly express what they think, feel, or need in many day to day situations. Without basic paragraph writing skills, people do not have confidence in their writing abilities.
This course provides the opportunity for students to develop the basic skills and confidence needed to start writing paragraphs without fear of failure at school or college, in the workplace, or for their personal use at home.
"What is a paragraph? How do I write one? When and where would it be used?
Is my paragraph too short? Is it too long?
Why did my instructor not understand my written paragraph on the test?
Why did my manager say my email paragraph was not clear?"
Have you asked yourself any of these questions in the past? If yes, then this course is for you!
This course can teach you the basics of paragraph writing step by step. It starts with “What is a paragraph?” and ends with you confidently using the skills learned in this course to write complete and clear paragraphs, quickly and easily!
Why this course? Because in this course you can:
benefit from being taught by a Ontario Certified Teacher who has over thirty years of classroom experience;
Message Mike directly for assistance with tutorials or for feedback from quizzes and assignments;
become engaged in classroom style instruction where the teacher stands in front of you, speaks clearly, and uses a white board;
understand why you are learning specific skills and how they will make you a better writer;
watch short video tutorials that that allow you to fit learning into your busy schedule and find parts you want to review quickly;
develop paragraph writing skills using everyday, familiar words so you can focus on paragraph building and not unfamiliar words;
work with familiar themes such as food, family, school and college, and the workplace;
learn content that has been simplified to the most important key parts and that is presented using a step by step approach;
check your level of knowledge quickly at the end of tutorials using Quick Recap, Quick Check, and Quick Quiz;
download PDF exercises and a booklet of section summary notes.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone in high school, college, or the workplace that has not had the opportunity to develop basic paragraph writing skills.
- Those in school or college who find it difficult to start written assignments or complete written test and exam questions quickly.
- Anyone who avoids writing in the workplace because of a lack in confidence in connecting sentences together to create a coherent message.
- Those who currently do not use a writing structure guideline to write paragraphs quickly and effectively.
- Anyone who wants to learn a step by step approach to paragraph writing in a classroom-like setting.
- This is not a course for university students or professionals who already have a strong writing background and want complex, advanced writing instruction.
Mike is an Ontario Certified Teacher with over thirty years of classroom experience. He taught in the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board, in Canada’s capital city, in the areas of English for college and workplace bound students, English Second Language instruction, and Special Education.
Mike knows the importance of keeping things simple. Students learn more quickly and remember what they learn. He knows that students develop confidence when they are given engaging step by step instruction, time to review and practice, and chances to ask questions.
Based on his thirty years of experience, he knows that each and every student can become a better writer. He has felt great satisfaction when students have returned and shared experiences of how his courses helped them in high school, at college, in the workplace, or in their own personal lives.
Mike has an excellent understanding of the specific needs of adult learners. Because of his experience and expertise, Mike was given the responsibility of developing writing classes for his school’s students to better prepare them for college and the workplace. After these courses were developed and used in the school, Mike was asked to share his teaching strategies with other schools across the province of Ontario in professional development workshops.
Mike received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Concordia University where he first studied Adult Education, and his Bachelor of Education from the University of Ottawa where he earned teaching qualifications in English, Special Education, and English Second Language instruction.
Mike lives in the countryside close to Ottawa with his wife who is also a teacher. They enjoy learning Italian which they try to use while travelling in Italy on vacations. They have two adult sons and Mike loves to cook for them when they visit. When he has time, Mike likes to restore vintage motorcycles.