Overview of Fiber Optics
What you'll learn
- By the end of this course, you will have gained a good knowledge of fiber optics and the role of optical fiber in the fiber optic system.
- Also, you will be familiar with the applications of fiber optic systems that are being in practice today.
- You will also gain depth knowledge of the structure of an optical fiber, how light propagates inside it, its classification, and signal distortion inside it.
- You will come through some special types of optical fibers which overcome the losses inside the optical fibers.
- No prior knowledge is needed. You will learn about fiber optics and optical fiber from the start.
This is the course on fiber optics and optical fiber. Fiber optics is the technology used for transmitting the information as light pulses between the transmitter and receiver. Optical fiber is the main component of any fiber optic system and is responsible for transmitting the optical signal from one place to other. Optical fiber cables have many advantages over copper wire which had led to an increased demand for optical fibers. Today optical fibers have vast applications in various systems and instruments. Optical fibers are capable of transmitting the signals over longer distances with more accuracy and less loss. In optical communication systems, an optical fiber is used to transmit high-frequency signals.
This course will give the depth knowledge about:
Fiber optics and the role of optical fiber in fiber optic system.
Various applications working on fiber optics system.
How the optical fibers are in demand because of their advantages over copper wire.
The structure of optical fibers.
The phenomena of total internal reflection by which the light propagates inside the optical fiber.
Classification of optical fibers based on refractive index and mode of propagation of light inside them.
Different factors responsible for signal distortion/loss in optical fibers.
Some special optical fibers which overcome this signal loss.
Who this course is for:
- This course is for beginners in fiber optics, optical fibers, optoelectronics, or optical communication.
- And for the students who are curious to know how the world is growing today through the use of fiber optic technologies.
I have worked as a senior research fellow with my work focused on fiber optic systems, optical fibers, fiber lasers, and fiber bragg grating sensors. Expert in handling optical spectrum analyzers, fiber splicers, and optical power meters. Also worked on OptiSystem and OptiGrating softwares.
I have a master's degree in Optoelectronics specializing in optical communication. My bachelor's degree was in applied electronics and instrumentation engineering.