Orthodontic treatment in the transverse and sagittal planes
What you'll learn
- Transverse discrepancies
- Development of crossbite. Types of posterior cross bites. Disjunction. Treatment for posterior cross bite
- Treatment of sagittal discrepancies. Class II malocclusion. Treatment planning. Dentoalveolar Class II malocclusions.
- Maxillary distalization. Functional Class II with distally forced bite. Skeletal Class II with maxillary prognathism.
- Extraction treatment. Skeletal Class II with prognathism and anteinclination of maxilla. Skeletal Class II with retrognathic mandible.
- Class III malocclusion
- Interested in becoming an orthodontic specialist
This course will take you from zero to hero of the following orthodontic topics: Transverse discrepancies and Treatment of sagittal discrepancies
Here are the main headlines that this course covers:
1. Development of crossbite
2. Posterior crossbite
2.1 Etiology of posterior crossbites
2.1.3 Interferences and occlusal factors
2.2 Types of posterior crossbites
2.3 Diagnosis for posterior crossbite
2.4 Variables that can have influence in the correction of posterior crossbites
Lateral functional displacement during mandible closure
Estimation of the necessary expansion
Age of the patient
2.5 Reasons and timing of treatment of posterior crossbites
3.1 Effects of disjunction
3.2 Effects on the maxillary complex
3.3 Effects on the alveolar process
3.4 Dental effects
3.5 Effects on the mandible
3.6 Effects on the adjacent facial structures
3.7 Disjunction indications and Counter indications
4. Treatment for posterior crossbite
Transpalatal arch with an extension arm
Inverted NiTi arch
Crossed elastics or "Z" elastics
Treatment of sagittal discrepancies
1. Development of a sagittal problem
2. Diagnosis of sagittal discrepancies
3. Class II malocclusion
3.1 Clinical examination and functional assessment
3.2 Morphologic characteristics
3.3 Treatment planning
3.3.1 Dentoalveolar Class II malocclusions
Fixed distalizers – open coil spring, elastic NiTi wires or Dr Richard Vlock's technique, sliding hooks, Pendulum appliance, Distal jet
Removable distalizers – Cetlin plate, Veltri distalizer, Belussi Distalizer
Non extraction headgear treatment
3.3.2 Functional Class II with distally forced bite
3.3.3 Skeletal Class II with maxillary prognathism
Management of the extraction space
Indications and contraindications
Extraction pattern in class II cases
Extraction space closure biomechanics by:
• The open ''I'' loop.
• The closed ''I'' loop.
• The closed helicoid ''I'' loop,
• Ricketts loop.
• Bull or Keyhole loop,
• The "T" loop,
• The segmented "T" loop,
• The utility retraction loop.
• The DKL (Double Key Loops).
3.3.4 Skeletal Class II with prognathism and anteinclination of maxilla
3.3.5 . Skeletal Class II with retrognathic mandible
4. Class III malocclusion
4.2 Anterior crossbite
Classification - Dental anterior crossbite, Functional anterior crossbite, skeletal anterior crossbite
Differential diagnosis between true and Pseudo Class III malocclusion
Treatments for anterior crossbites
1. Dentoalveolar Class III
Lingually placed bracket
2. Functional Class III malocclusion (with pseudo-forced bite or anterior displacement)
3. Class III malocclusion with retruded maxilla
Face mask treatment
4. Class III malocclusion with mandibular prognathism
5. Class III malocclusion with a combination of maxillary retrognathism and mandibular prognathism
Who this course is for:
- General dentists and post-graduate students
- Dental students
Dr. Ivelina Koycheva is a renowned international lecturer and trains dentists from all over the world in orthodontics. She is the author of over 40 online orthodontic courses, which are attended by dentists from Germany, England, Italy, France, USA, Ireland, Mexico, Bahrain, South Africa, Kenya, Taiwan, the Netherlands, Thailand, Turkey, Portugal, Egypt and many other countries.
She is the author of the books “Orthodontic Treatment Protocols” and “Everything about orthodontic treatment”. She is the best-selling and highest-rated orthodontic trainer in Udemy.
Dr. Ivelina Koycheva is the inventor of an innovative method of applying stabilization arches during orthodontic treatment that significantly optimizes treatment time.
She graduated Dental Medicine at Medical University – Sofia and specialized in orthodontics in Poland. She learned orthodontic specifics from world-known lecturers like Prof. Adrian Becker, Prof. Stella Chaushu, Dr. Richard P. McLaughlin (creator of the MBT braces system), Dr. Giorgio Fiorelli.
She applies the acquired knowledge in her daily orthodontic practice. She has treated hundreds of cases in her orthodontic clinic.