Orientalism in European Art History
- 1 hour on-demand video
- 3 downloadable resources
- Full lifetime access
- Access on mobile and TV
- Certificate of Completion
Get your team access to 4,000+ top Udemy courses anytime, anywhere.Try Udemy for Business
- Learn about colonialism as a political background of French Orientalism.
- How can Orientalism be seen from today's perspective?
- Get to know examples of French orientalist paintings.
- Get introduced to the cultural criticism of Orientalism by Edward Said.
- Find out how artists approached this topic individually.
- + Bonus Material
- + Revised Subtitles
- no subject-specific preknowledge needed
Ingres, Gérôme, Delacroix - the most renowned artists of European art history - and especially French ones - were highly concerned with the myth, charm and the supposed otherness of the Orient.
In this course you will get to know their artworks and which cultural perspectives are connected with the imagery of the Oriental. Thereby the individual and political contexts of orientalist art come to light.
What did French artists admire about the Oriental world?
What role did politics and colonialism play?
How much veracity lies within the depictions shown to the European public?
Who had actually been to the Orient and why?
How do we nowadays perceive cultural spheres that differ from our own?
- entry-level students of art history
- teachers who are looking for interesting and graphic content for their teaching
- everyone who wants to get closer to art and culture