Grassroots Community Organizing Fundamentals For Beginners
- This is a course for true beginners, so no knowledge is needed before starting. However, it's meant for people who are ready to start organizing, so you should be ready to learn and have time set aside to make progress through the course!
Making meaningful change in your community isn't easy, and it's often difficult to know where to start. In this course, you'll learn fundamental techniques that form the core of effective grassroots organizing. It's designed for those new to organizing who are eager to get started, and serves as a great refresh for those already politically active. All lessons are developed in close conjunction with progressive organizations like Organizing for Action.
The initial lesson focuses on telling your personal story. A compelling personal narrative is a powerful tool for organizing that helps you quickly connect with anyone--from potential volunteers to elected leaders--in a meaningful way. This story is structured into four parts - the challenge, the choice, the outcome, and the ask - and in this course we'll break down that framework, walk you through several examples, and give you tips for maximum impact. Then, you'll write your own story, practice and get feedback, and polish it into an engaging narrative.
Other lessons currently in development include:
- How to ask questions at a Town Hall meeting
- Speaking with confidence for those running for office for the first time
So if you're ready to get active, sign up today!
Who this course is for:
- People who want to learn how to organize their communities for change.
- Beginning organizers who want to feel more confident sharing their personal story with others.
DemLabs is an organization seeking to support progressive candidates and organizations with the technical, legal, and creative resources they need to win. For this course, DemLabs has partnered with several leading progressive organizations to create online training so anyone, anywhere can learn to be an effective activist or political organizer.