Master Transportation Problem Algorithm
What you'll learn
- You will learn the basic tools of Operations Research, namely the Transportation Problem
- The Transportation Problem algorithm is ideally applied where there are several origins and several destnations and goods have to sent over these routes.
- You will learn to solve a variety of problems including unbalanced problems, degenerate problems maximization problems
- You will learn the technique of Transportation Problem where in phase 1 we obtain the Initial Feasible Solution or Basic Feasible Solution
- The Initial solution needs to be improved in phase II of the problem and improve the same till optimality is reached in second phase
- There are no prerequisites for the course
- You need a computer with internet connectivity
- you need a simple calculator
- You need knowledge of school level maths
I am a professor of Operations Research, teaching this subject from 1986 onwards. Linear Programming, Assignment Problem, Transportation Problem, Networking Techniques, Game Theory are some of the major algorithms in Operations Research. My attempt, over the years has been to teach without involving great deal of mathematics, so that the student without any math background can also understand the algorithm easily. In the initial phase I launched the courses on Linear Programming, Assignment Problem, Transportation Problem, Sequencing at one go. This 10 hour video course will give you complete insight into solving a Transportation Problem. Both minimization and maximization cases will be covered, including the more complex degenerate problems. The initial Feasible solution to a transportation problem will be obtained by one of the three methods namely North West Cornet Rule, Least Cost Method or Vogel's Approximation Method. In the second phase, we will cover the MoDi or Modified Distribution Method. The solution to the unbalanced Transportation Problem has been covered. A representative problem of applying the algorithm to a scheduling problem has been covered in the course. In the case of the this algorithm, step by step approach to solving the problems has been introduced, starting with what I call as ‘prechecks’. The idea is that the student should be able to formulate and solve the problem on her own. While both these algorithms are for minimization, the problems for maximization can also be solved by converting them into minimization first. Examples of this effect are covered. I hope that the student will be able to formulate a given situation as one of these algorithm problems and solve it on his own.
Who this course is for:
- Anyone who wants to learn about Operations Research as applied to the Transportation Problem (TP)
- Scholars and academicians looking to learn more about (TP)
- Anyone doing Engineering, with Operations Research as one of the subjects
- MBA and BMS Scholars with Operations Research as subject.
- BBA, CPA scholars with Operations Research as a subject.
Having completed a Master's degree in Physics, and an MBA in Financial Management, I worked in the industry from 1977 to 2002. My work experience is mainly related to the financial appraisal of industrial projects. Simultaneously while working, I was teaching when time permitted to satisfy my passion for teaching. From 2003 onward till date, I have become a full-time teacher. I have taught students from several disciplines like Executive Programmes for Corporates, Chartered Accountants, Engineering Graduates, Management Accountants, MBAs, CPAs, Engineers, and Bachelor of Management Studies. After spending years in classroom teaching, I thought it was time to get acquainted with a larger platform like Udemy. I was surprised that no course was available on Udemy on the subject of ‘Operations Research’ (OR). I probably became the first faculty member all over the world to teach OR on Udemy. As I rewrite this in September 2022, after the pandemic, in my third year on Udemy, I have got more than 13400 registrations from 8600 students, from 133 countries for my seven courses. Six of the courses are on the subject of OR, and one is on the matter of investments for students in India. I hope you get a great learning experience by undertaking my courses. If you have any difficulty or face some imponderables, do write to me using the Udemy platform. I will reply to your query within 48 hours. Best wishes for your academic pursuits!