Operations budgeting for the hospitality industry
What you'll learn
- What a budget is
- Who is responsible for setting up a budget
- The types of budgets
- Departmental budgets
- How to read a daily budget report
- The advantages and disadvantages of budgeting
- How to interpret increases and decreases according to the budget
- Use your budget as a guideline to optimize results
- How to analyze the actual results compared to the budget in detail
- Understand why having a budget is key in your establisment
- How sales volume plays a role
- How price management plays a role
- How all departments are responsible for each other
- How direct cost variance analysis works
- How labor cost variance analysis works
- How sales variance analysis works
- How to use variance analyses
- Basic understanding of hotel and restaurant operations
- Basic understanding of percentages
- Basic understanding of math
- Patience to follow along with numbers, facts and figures
This course 'Operations budgeting for the hospitality industry' is based towards students who are interested in taking control of their budgets, revenues and expenses.
If you want to figure out how your hotel or restaurant property is doing compared to the budget and want to learn how to find out what elements are responsible for your business losing money or overachieving, then this course is for you.
Together we will discuss all the elements needed to set up a budget and a standard costing system for your property and how to compare it to the actual results. And how to interpret the results, so you'll make better decisions.
By the end of this course you will have a solid foundation and understanding of Variant analyses. This allows you to take control of your budget and fine tune it. You'll know how to pinpoint the problems in your budget and therefor find solutions to decrease expenses, increase profits and have more accurate budgets in the future.
We will discuss why forecasting and standardization are important tools. Also we'll cover the more basic things like: what is a budget, who is responsible for setting up the budget and what different budgets do we work with.
You will learn how to use important techniques that will help you better manage your hotel or restaurant. You'll learn what Sales variant analysis, Cost variant analysis and Labor cost analysis is and how to use these tools to potentially increase revenues.
Who this course is for:
- Hotel managers
- Tourism managers
- Restaurant managers
- Hospitality employees
- Department heads
- Finance managers
My name is Jeroen (Jay-rone).
Who am I and what is it that I do?
I have diplomas in business management, hospitality management and business administration. I'm also a certified personal trainer and nutrition coach.
After starting my career in the hospitality industry I moved on into the retail- and fitness industry. From there on I started a catering- and a fitness company. When I'm not coaching clients in the fitness studio you can find me in front of the classroom.
I've been a teacher for over 14+ years. I teach hotel-, business-, business administration- and restaurant management at college. Besides the business side of teaching I also educate and train new personal trainers and nutrition coaches.
I have quite a few fields I'm interested and passionate about.
And now I hope to teach and inspire you as well via the online way of teaching.
Enjoy the courses!