Oil Painting Master Series
What you'll learn
- How to choose the right materials, their properties, and how to use them in oil painting
- How to prepare a support – boards, stretching, and preparing canvas
- How to layout your palette and mix complex colors
- How to make your own oil paints from pure pigment
- Pre-painting fundamentals
- The secret to blending oil paint to create smooth transitions of value and color
- How to create an underpainting
- How to glaze color over an underpainting using the “Old Masters” technique
- How to paint directly using observed colors
- How to paint on a toned surface to create dramatic contrast
- How to paint folded cloth
- How to paint realistic clouds
- How to paint a representational portrait
- How to paint Alla Prima (Wet into Wet)
- How to use a knife to create Impasto effects in a painting
- How to paint as an Impressionist
- How to approach a Non-Traditional painting (Non-Objective, Abstract)
- The secrets to creating reflection and transparency with oils
- Some materials will be required to participate
- Bristle brushes
- Oil paints
- Masonite panel
- Oil medium (solvent)
- Painting knives
- Gesso (optional)
Oil Painting Master Series is a course designed to guide students into the world of oil painting by clearly illustrating and explaining materials and a variety of painting techniques. You will not only learn how to paint with oils, but also how to prepare a palette, choose brushes, mix colors, prepare a support and more.
Modules are carefully planned in a chronological order, so that concepts build gradually. Videos are complemented with illustrated, downloadable eBooks to address multiple learning styles.
The course consists of over 3 hours of video content segmented into 19 modules that include 17 eBooks totaling 114 pages.
Who this course is for:
- No previous experience or knowledge is required
- This course is for absolutely anyone!
Hi, I am an illustrator and educator. As the founder and instructor at TheVirtualInstructor (website), I am able to help thousands of people all over the world realize their dreams of creating quality art. My illustrations have been featured in numerous publications and my work can be found in many private collections. Although I am an illustrator, my true passion in life is teaching. I have been teaching for over ten years and I am lucky to have helped so many people achieve their goals of creating art.
Ashley Bane Hurst is the Visual Art Department Chair at a public arts magnet school. He received his B.F.A. in 2002. Since that time Ashley has participated in numerous shows, executed figure paintings and portrait commissions in oil paint, pastel, charcoal and sepia and been recognized in the national Arts for the Parks contest for landscape painting. Ashley has also completed freelance illustrations and designs for production. Ashley enjoys creating a variety of art but he enjoys seeing others grow in their own art just as much. He has been teaching drawing and painting for ten years in the classroom and is excited about sharing his instruction through OilPaintingMasterSeries.com. He currently resides in North Carolina, USA with his wife Nicole, two children, Ruby and Roman, and their dog's Chloe and Bear