Oil/Acrylic Painting Techniques and Color Theory
- No preliminary knowledge is needed since all aspects of the painting process (including materials) are covered. Materials included eight tubes of paint which can be student level for beginners, medium, and canvas panels or stretched. Total costs can be kept under $100 for beginners.
This painting lesson covers oil/ acrylic painting techniques and color theory. Color mixing, paint application, glazing, scumbling, brushes, mediums, and varnishes are also discussed. Three complete demonstrations on oil/acrylic painting techniques are given each using a complementary color scheme of either blue and orange, red and green, or yellow and purple. These painting lessons also include discussions on composition and painting approaches using a classical technique, plein air, alla prima, griding, and/or working from photographs.
In this course, three complete demonstrations are performed using examples of different painting approaches used by most artists including two still life compositions and one landscape. The materials needed for this course include a limited palette of six colors ( two each of red, yellow and blue) plus black and white.
- Anyone can take this course to gain an understanding of how to paint in oils or acrylics any subject matter. No previous experience is needed since all the basics are covered from the start of a painting to its finish.
- Introduction to Oil/Acrylic Painting Techniques03:15
- Painting Video Course Disclaimer02:19
- Painting Class #1: Limited Palette, Primary Colors, Flesh, and Black07:20
- Painting Class #2 :Classical Painting Demo (Brass Still Life)06:23
- Painting Class #3: Classical Painting Demo (Brass Still Life)07:31
- Painting Class #4: Classical Painting Demo (Brass Still Life)05:00
- Painting Class #5: Secondary/Tertiary Colors and Color Wheel06:09
- Painting Class #6: Shades and Tints03:44
- Painting Class #7: Classical Painting Demo (Brass Still Life)06:01
- Painting Class #8: Classical Painting Demo (Brass Still Life)08:12
- Painting Class #9:Complimentary Colors and Impressionism05:42
- Painting Class #10: Value, Glazing, and Scumbling04:21
- Painting Class #11: Classical Painting Demo (Brass Still Life)06:00
- Painting Class #12: Color First Demo (Apples)10:46
- Painting Class #13: Color First Demo (Apples)09:14
- Painting Class #14: Composition and Examples12:22
- Painting Class #15: Color First Demo (Apples)07:50
- Painting Class #16: Color First Demo (Apples)10:00
- Painting Class #17: Mediums, Varnishes, Brushes, Signiture08:40
- Painting Class #18: Plein Air Demo (Fall Landscape)07:31
- Painting Class #19: Plein Air Demo (Fall Landscape)05:14
- Painting Class #20: Plein Air Demo (Fall Landscape)05:42
- Painting Class #21: Griding and Working from Photos08:03
- Painting Class #22: Plein Air Demo (Fall Landscape)08:36
Donelli J. DiMaria is a professional artist and teacher living in Santa Fe, NM. He has shown his paintings and drawings through out the US for the past twenty years in numerous galleries and juried/invited arts shows. Over the past four years, he has been in 14 group museum shows and has his work published in the "Artist's Magazine", "American Art Collector", and in "The Best of Portrait Painting" (North Light Books). He has been actively teaching the "Reilly" drawing and painting techniques for the past six years.