Exploiting BYOD to teach effectively using a local WiFi net.
- basic file management skills
- how to create a presentation on PowerPoint or similar
BYOD has been underutilized in schools because of issues of connectivity, compatibility and App account requirements. The use of mobile devices is a ripe area for development if we can exploit them appropriately for classroom use. This course sets up a system to connect student and school devices (mobile and laptops) to the teacher's computer so that lesson material and activities can be shared in the classroom, bypassing infrastructure issues. It uses HTML5 to be cross platform and is browser based to avoid the need for Apps or accounts. Multimedia, quizzes, readings, presentations can easily be deployed to devices for individualized, group or whole class use.
The course is divided in sections.
1. It begins with an overview and explanation.
2. An example system will be demonstrated.
3. The folder layout of the service will be examined and a template provided to download and use.
4. Methodology of creating content for delivery.
5. Software options
6. There is FAQ section which also acts as both a glossary and troubleshooting guide.
The content of each section consists of video and audio explanations together with data sheets.
At the end of this course the participant should feel capable and confident to setup and run an “offdanet" service in their classroom.
It is hoped that running offdanet will allow teachers more freedom in creating, modifying and presenting their own lesson material into technology rich classrooms with engaged learners.
Who this course is for:
- teachers who want to exploit the technology languishing in their schools
- teaches who have no wifi operating in their classroom
- trainers who visit sites with restricted wireless infrastructure yet who wish to deliver or share content
- 02:00What is this - Offdanet?
- 15:23Description of Offdanet
Professional Educator and teacher trainer. Experienced teacher at Primary (elementary), Secondary, and Tertiary levels in New Zealand, Japan and the UAE. Educational Technology specialist and innovator. Currently lecturing ICT in a Teachers' Training College. I have a background in Film and Media which has made me prefer to use animated characters for many of my video presentations.