Computer Science MetaBootcamp: Beginner to Intermediate 2022
What you'll learn
- Finally understand how computers and all cyber systems work at a basic level.
- Take a journey through all the layers of cyber systems beginning from electrical signals at the bottom up to the algorithms in your head.
- Understand programming concepts such as Model View Controller (MVC), bit manipulation and much more.
- A holistic understanding of basics such as variables, loops, conditionals and much more.
- Learn scripting and automation through Python, the top programming language of today used in Web Development, Machine Learning and Data Science.
- Understand how the internet works and other networking concepts.
- Take your first step into the field of cybersecurity by completing a Capture the Flag challenge on the popular TryHackMe platform.
- Prepare for jobs or internships by practicing common leetcode problems that are commonly asked in tech interviews today.
- Become language agnostic and migrate easily from 1 language and framework to another by converting your Python project to a web page using HTML, CSS and JS.
- Follow along with interesting storylines and characters that re-enforce the concepts learnt in the course.
- Speed run up to 5 semesters' worth of a Computer Science and Engineering Degree on demand and quickly recognize your strengths, weaknesses and interests.
- Be able to easily differentiate and understand the basics of each of the giant sub-fields within CSE.
- Understand clearly and exactly what a CS student walks like, thinks like, and acts like!
- Identify a path for yourself within the tech infused careers of tomorrow!
- Zero knowledge of coding/programming, or computer science is expected. Come as you are with an open mind, and willing soul. :)
Have you ever wondered how the first couple of years of a general Computer Science university course looks like? Maybe you’d like to know if this is the discipline for you and if you are good at it? Wonder no longer, for we will show you how to get there, how to get good as you go along on your journey, and how life as a computer scientist is like! Money is precious, time even more so, so our priority is to push you ahead, and give you a head-start into university life. Our goal with this course to help you decide if you want to do computer science & engineering at a university level, and what you can expect should you enroll into a course!
In this non-traditional, meta-versey course, you get to speedrun through the fundamentals of computer science & engineering in less than 7 hours!
You will see all that is promised here and more:
Web Development Basics
4 LeetCode problems from Tech Interviews
1 TryHackMe Cybersecurity Challenge
3 Introductory Python Projects: Use fundamentals to build Blackjack, Rock-Paper-Scissors, and Hangman
2 Real-World Python Projects: Use popular libraries to build a Machine Learning-based Chatbot, and a Cryptography challenge Encryption/Decryption and Brute Forcing
2 Assessment Modules: 9-question direct quiz and 28 critical thinking prompts
5 Tech Shorts: History and Trivia delivered in Byte-Sized Pieces
Narrative Story Elements, Visualized Algorithms, and Animated Characters to keep your learning fun
Metaverse with a Virtual Academy: We host a complementary session every week for all students for the course in an online, avatar based platform (Gathertown)
Our philosophy towards teaching is simply this: an individual should be able to take away the essentials of a lesson, no matter how hard it may be. Higher education material is already hard and is often made harder by hardened people at institutions. Code is only as important as a mind who likes to make things work. Focus on the semantics, and not the syntax (you’ll find out what this is and more in the course :))
In this way, the course is structured following the principles of explain-understand-assess, while incorporating illustrations, and animations, to form a comprehensive edutainment package! Our lessons are a holistic, audio-visual, multi-sensory experience, to encapsulate the complete odyssey of the definitive university experience for computer science & engineering. The more senses we engage, the more we remember the concepts, the stronger the core memory, and deeper the understanding. We believe relevant applications and ample examples should be part of the learning process, with considerable enjoyment.
Learning by doing, and doing through learning with the Odysy twist is what you will come to know, and love.
This course is actively being maintained, live support is available, and any required updates will be performed periodically.
DISCLAIMER: This is an avant-garde, experiential learning approach to make you love technology as we do. In just 7 hours, you will develop a rudimentary knowledge of everything that a student in computer science & engineering experiences across the span of two years at a standard university. This is not a substitute for university, but rather an approach to give you a test-drive. If you are already familiar with the basics, this course may not be for you, but please feel free to browse, maybe there’s something for you as well!
Who this course is for:
- Beginner Python developers
- Beginner Web developers
- Beginner Cybersecurity Engineers
- High school students getting into IT or Computer Science and/or Engineering
- Undergraduate CS students willing to speedrun through their upcoming semesters and be better prepared for the future.
- Parents who want the ultimate guide to introduce their kids into the tech world
- Tech professionals looking to get a new perspective on concepts learnt a long time ago or just refresh upon some of those concepts
Odysy Academy is a community-driven educational initiative started by Master and Ph.D. candidates at Oxford University, Carnegie Mellon University, American University of Sharjah, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
Here, multi-year university degrees in STEM are condensed into a span of a few months and delivered through engaging visuals, hands-on projects, and story-based code challenges. Speed-run through the first few years of a major of your choice, and see if its a right for you!
To make things crystal clear, this is the structure of serialized course content designed by us on Udemy:
Beautifully designed visuals explaining basics and tech interview questions.
Engaging and detailed coding tutorials with animated storylines.
Practical hands-on projects with a real-world perspective.
We envision our Udemy courses as your first step, your rite of passage, and your training field before you actually do decide to pursue a college major in a field of your choice. To know if you like doing something and see if you're good at it, you should be able to do it without fear of failure, and not worry about extensive college tuition fees.
We additionally wish our courses to be a supplementary source to support those who believe in self-learning and upskilling at any stage in their academic or career journey.