The New Trainer's Guide to Creating End User Documentation
What you'll learn
- Best practices for writing clear, understandable and concise instructions
- How to use a style guide to keep all documentation standardized, consistent and professional
- Grammer, syntax, sentence structure used for software documentation
- Easy techniques for improving end user software documentation
- Software Interface conventions and formatting
- Desire to improve your instructional writing
- No prior technical writing or Instructional Design training is needed
This course is for anyone who is responsible for training or supporting end user software. Whether you are a new trainer, manager, support desk or a seasoned associate, this course will teach you techniques and skills to write end user documentation that gets used. You don’t need any prior technical writing or instructional design experience so you can jump right in and start using these techniques right now.
You will learn how to write clear, accurate steps that always ensure the user knows exactly what to do. You will explore techniques that keep documentation concise and simple so users aren’t overwhelmed and disregard training materials. We won’t spend time on lengthy explanations of theory but we will focus on real world, practical writing that you can use Today. This course is filled with real world examples of instructional writing that you can use to practice your new skills. Every exercise comes with a review session to help you understand how and why the revision and writing is needed.
In addition, you will be provided with a wealth of downloadable resources. Included in this course is a style guide which will cover software conventions and terminology. Also included are style guides that outline documentation structure, instructional techniques, syntax and key grammar techniques. You will have additional resources for techniques to reduce information overload and writing in plain language. You will have all the information at your fingertips as you begin writing your documents.
Who this course is for:
- Managers and Trainers responsible for training department staff
- Support Staff, Help Desk and Business Analysts
- Instructional Designers and Technical Writers
I have worked as a systems implementation specialist and an instructional designer for well over 15 years. During this time, I have developed and reviewed many software systems training curriculum, programs and documentation. These years of experience have been the basis of this course. I am passionate about improving the end user's ability to do their job effectively and easily. I have designed this course to bring the most effective and quick techniques to you.