Neural Networks in Python from Scratch: Learning by Doing
What you'll learn
- Program neural networks for 3 different problems from scratch in plain Python
- Start simple: Understand input layer, output layer, weights, error function, accuracy, training & testing at an intuitive example
- Complicate the problem: Introduce hidden layers & activation functions for building more useful networks
- Real-life application: Use this network for image recognition
- Basic programing skills are desired if you want to program along with me. We use Python3 without any advanced modules.
** The quickest way to understanding (and programming) neural networks using Python **
This course is for everyone who wants to learn how neural networks work by hands-on programming!
Everybody is talking about neural networks but they are hard to understand without setting one up yourself. Luckily, the mathematics and programming skills (python) required are on a basic level so we can progam 3 neural networks in just over 3 hours. Do not waste your time! This course is optimized to give you the deepest insight into this fascinating topic in the shortest amount of time possible.
The focus is fully on learning-by-doing and I only introduce new concepts once they are needed.
What you will learn
After a short introduction, the course is separated into three segments - 1 hour each:
1) Set-up the most simple neural network: Calculate the sum of two numbers.
You will learn about:
Neural network architecture
Weights, input & output layer
Training & test data
Accuracy & error function
Feed-forward & back-propagation
2) We modify this network: Determine the sign of the sum.
You will be introduced to:
3) Our network can be applied to all sorts of problems, like image recognition: Determine hand-written digits!
After this cool and useful real-life application, I will give you an outlook:
How to improve the network
What other problems can be solved with neural networks?
How to use pre-trained networks without much effort
My name is Börge Göbel and I am a postdoc working as a scientist in theoretical physics where neural networks are used a lot.
I have refined my advisor skills as a tutor of Bachelor, Master and PhD students in theoretical physics and have other successful courses here on Udemy.
"Excellent course! In a simple and understandable way explained everything about the functioning of neural networks under the hood." - Srdan Markovic
I hope you are excited and I kindly welcome you to our course!
Who this course is for:
- This beginner-friendly course is for everyone! Especially if you:
- Are curious about neural networks and want to really understand how they operate
- Work in machine learning or data science but have not yet programed a neural network yourself from scratch
- Want to really learn about machine learning without fancy frameworks/modules - Just you, me & standard python
Hi, my name is Börge, I am a theoretical physicist working in the field for more than 10 years. I have been supervising several Bachelor, Master and PhD students and I am an experienced instructor on physics, mathematics and programming-related topics and want to spark your excitement for science. I will help you to become knowledgeable and successful in the STEM fields. Understanding Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics basically guarantees you to have a successful career and to be able to make the world a better place. However, getting into these extremely fascinating topics can be frustrating: They are often taught either too loosely or with a too strong focus on the mathematics.
My all-in-one courses are exactly the courses I wish I had when I was first getting into university-level mathematics, physics & programming!
You will benefit no matter what your skill level is: from ‘interested newcomer’ to ‘experienced university student’. Each beginner friendly course (mathematical basics included) condenses more than a whole semester of university to about 10h-20h of time-efficient videos, exercises, quizzes, and real-world examples.
Join 20,000+ happy students today in one of my comprehensive 5-star courses (most of them have been added to the Udemy Business collection). I am excited to go on this journey together with you :-)
Career as a scientist
Dr. Börge Göbel is a tutor and scientist working in theoretical physics. For his post-doctoral research position in quantum physics at a German university, he has to use and refine his programming (mostly Python and Mathematica), mathematics and physics skills on a daily basis. His 35+ original research publications in the most prestigious and renowned journals (including Nature & Science publishing groups) have been cited 1,500+ times and he has collaborated with outstanding researchers (including Nobel prize laureates) from all over the world.
The secret to do research successfully is not to hole up in complicated equations but to make the difficult concepts simple and accessible – to oneself and to others :-)